Aida Flores

by Susan from Los Angeles

"Work hard for what you want"

What has your mother done for you? I'm pretty sure moms have their fair share of errors but in the long run most want what's best for their kids. Obviously there are women who don't care for their children but I'm glad that my mom cares deeply about me and my brothers. She looks out for us, gives us shelter and basic necessities, and also for respecting us. Obviously to me, my mom is the most amazing person in the whole wide world.

Sometimes I feel like my mom is being overprotective and other times I just feel that she just wants us to be safe. For example just last week I wanted to go out to my friend's eighteenth birthday party and when I asked her for permission and she said yes but, gave me a long lecture on life itself. I guess I was pretty mad because she made me arrive late at the party but she was just making sure I was going to be okay. Little gestures like that are things I appreciate. Most of the time I just sound really annoyed and pissed off at my mom but I honestly appreciate her looking out for me. Growing up she says that she didn't get the attention she needed so now that she has kids, she does what wasn't done for her.

I also thank my mother for supplying me with basic necessities. I mean obviously I would want the latest iPhone or iPod, a closet full of brand named clothes but I won't die if I don't have it.. Also, when money is tight I have to give up going out places with my friends but I don't mind because I remember how my mom gives up her time to work and provide for me. It's not easy to juggle work and being a mom at the same time.

The one thing my mother taught me that I've always followed is to get respect you have to give it back. Honestly the lack of respect anywhere in the world is shameful. My mom hates when someone does not show respect. She said that once someone doesn't show you respect anymore, they're not worth keeping around. Her motto has helped me get out of sticky situations. I thank her for teaching that I don't have to agree with someone's statement but I do have to respect it.

On our way to a wedding :-) (My iPod. (Myself.))

I don't know what or how to say thank you to my mom for molding me into the person I am now. I can't express my gratitude enough but I can say that I wouldn't know where I would be without her. From giving me clothes to getting my iPod taken away no matter what, she'll always be my idol. Thanks mom. I love you.