Anne Frank

by Courtney from Monroe

'I shall not remain insignificant.' - Anne Frank
Anne Frank
Anne Frank

Anne Frank is my hero because she continued her life knowing she could be killed at anytime for her religious beliefs. She was born on June 12, 1929, to Otto and Edith Frank. She was born into a Jewish family. In the summer of 1933, they decided to move to Amsterdam, Otto would work for Opekta. Anne was 4 and Margot, her older sister, was 7. Otto and his co-workers work very well with each other. Anne went to a Jewish secondary school. Her mother, Edith, wanted Anne to be more like her older sister, Margot. But Anne didn’t want to be like Margot, she wanted to be herself. Edith always thought that Anne was spoiled by her father. She also believed that Anne was too talkative, that forced Margot to be the second concern. Anne and her mother often fought. Then at the beginning of 1941, Anti-Jewish restrictions were passed as laws, some are listed here:

• All businesses owned by Jews were to be reported. Jewish doctors and dentists were no longer allowed to treat Christians. Many places added Ads in the newspapers and magazines soliciting business from Jews to make up for the loss of their Christian patients.

• Owning radios, riding in cars, using public transportation, and owning a bicycle were forbidden. Even walking was restricted, there was no traveling without a permit, certain streets were designated as Jewish streets, and there was a 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm curfew.

• Shopping was confined to the hours of 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm and only in Jewish stores.

• Jewish children were no longer allowed to attend school with Christian children-They would have to go to their own schools.

Despite all of the terrible things that were happening to Anne and her family, Anne continued living her life as a normal teenager. She continued her studies, read books, and even fell in love with Peter Vaan Pels. She continued her life as if nothing was happening, she will never be forgotten.