Austin Gutwein

by Mitch from Geneva, Illinois

A hero to me must give people hope because if somebody has passed away, and that person was very special in their life, they need hope. Austin Gutwein gave people hope because he started a charity at age 14 called Hoops of Hope. When he was 9 years old, he had a friend in Africa and they were pen pals. His friend told him about how they don't have supplies like us. He learned more about Africa and he learned that 15 million kids became orphans because their parents died of AIDS. When the kids' parents die of AIDS they don't have food, clothing and shelter.

He also saw a movie about kids who have lost their parents by AIDS. That's when he started a miracle. The miracle started in 2004, he helped kids who had lost their parents by AIDS by shooting free throws and donating the money to Africa. He did not make the basketball team so then he started shooting free throws for money - that's why he chose basketball for his charity. In one day 2,057 kids' parents die from AIDS so Austin made money by shooting free throw shots. He shot 2,057 free throw shots and gave the money to world vision. He raised 3,000 dollars in one day on World AIDS Day.

Then he decided to make his own charity called Hoops of Hope. He made his charity because he wanted to change the world. He also said, "I believe anyone, no matter what their skill or age is they could still make a difference to the world." He made 5,000 dollars for charity in one year. Each year his charity makes 2.5 million dollars a year.

He wrote his own book called Take Your Best Shot. The book got released in 2009 and he wrote another book called Live in August, it got released in 2012. He visited Africa for the kids who are struggling with their life because their parents died from AIDS. His charity raised over 2 million dollars for people that are in trouble from AIDS. 400,000 people and 27 countries volunteer for his charity called Hoops of Hope. He wanted to make a school but to make the school he had to pay 50,000 dollars for the school. He paid for the school and 450 kids started school there. Some kid had to walk 7 or 8 miles to school from their home. The kids said that they're lucky to have doctors and nurses. His charity shot over 1 million free throws.

Austin Gutwein is a big role model to me because when he did not make the basketball team he did not give up basketball. He had a very good idea by making money by shooting free throws. He had hope when he thought of Hoops of Hope because when people think that they could make their own charity they think it's not going to work. He did not give up, he worked for it. Millions of people joined his charity and helped kids that lost their parents by AIDS. Mitch K