Audrey Hepburn

by Anna from San Diego

Audrey Hepburn (www.eaumg.net (eaumg.net))

On May 4th 1929 in Ixelles, Belgium, a little girl who will one day become my hero, was born. My hero is Audrey Hepburn. Audrey Hepburn went through many traumatic events in her life but overcame them so she could help others. She was a ballet dancer when she was a child and went through World War 2 during the Nazi invasions. Although she wasn't a Jew herself, she did secret ballet performances to raise money for the cause. When she grew up, she was too malnourished to do ballet so she to a path in acting which led to her modeling career and fame. Later in her career she became an ambassador for UNICEF, helping children all over the world during their times of war. Audrey Hepburn is my hero because of her compassion for giving back,  her selflessness, and her inspirational acts.

Audrey Hepburn was a beautiful, kind hearted woman who spent her time as a humanitarian and being someone to look up to by all races. She was a talented woman as well as compassionate to the earth and the people in it. According to the My Hero webpage, "Audrey Hepburn helped children all over the world, by supplying them with love and courage." Instead of soaking herself in her well-earned wealth and fortune, she used her time going to third world countries and helping children during war times. An average celebrity these days would be using their fortune buying fancy products that they don't need, but Audrey was smart about where her money went and how she could use it to better the world. Hepburn was best known for her acting and modeling, but she had more to her. She thought differently than most of the people in the business with her. "She thought the world was one family, a family that would care about the rich and the poor, the old and the young." Whenever I see a famous person looking out for people of all differences I feel inspired to do that too and give equal amounts of love to everyone. Audrey was different in a good way and she impacted many lives because of her compassion to make a change. Unfortunately, Hepburn can only be re-lived in movies and photographs. However, while she was here, you could count on her helping kids in a far away country.
Audrey Hepburn photo (whatkateythinks.net (katey))

Audrey Hepburn shows her selflessness when she takes breaks from her luxurious life in Hollywood to help people in need. She's done many good acts instead of living her well deserved life. The My Hero webpage tells all, "One hero in Hollywood and the only one that saved millions of lives, by joining UNICEF, was Audrey Hepburn." Instead of soaking herself in her well-earned wealth and fortune, she used her time going to third world countries and helping children during war times. To me, it's really refreshing to have an icon who is actually does something. Many "icons" these days are only famous because they have money and are good looking, meanwhile Audrey actually had something to offer to the world. As we know, Audrey was a beautiful woman and an amazing actor. What people don't know is that she was just as pretty on the inside she was on the outside. "She was a dignified, compassionate and selfless woman who was beautiful beyond the physical sense."If Audrey were a selfless absorbed woman she would have been using all her wealth for luxuries but instead she went to help others while many other rich people would be focusing on themselves. She took her time going to countries in poverty instead of flourishing in her career. Above all, Audrey was a more than just a pretty face and a great actress, She was the change that was needed in the word.

Audrey doing ballet (www.pinterest.com (pinterest))

The biggest reason as to why Audrey is my hero is her ability to inspire others to do good in the world. Everything that she does proves to me that there is no excuse for me not too. "She thought the world was one family, a family that would care about the rich and the poor, the old and the young." Audrey always went the extra mile in her career; not only in her acting or modeling, but in her will to help those who didn't have the resources or power to help themselves. She had a kind heart and she didn't ever let fame get to her. She stayed true to herself and knew what she wanted to do in life and she did it. While Audrey had everything she wanted from her career, to fans that loved her so much; Audrey knew that some of this fame and fortune could be used for something bigger than herself. "Audrey won an Academy Award in 1954 for her work in Roman Holiday." Audrey did not fail her career while doing all of these humanitarian activities. She used all her break time for volunteering when she could have been living her own life. Throughout all of this, Audrey Hepburn was living proof that you can do good in the world while still flourishing in your career and having fun.

Audrey's life was full of exciting, yet sometimes tragic events that led her to becoming my hero.  In 1989 she became UNICEF's most famous ambassador. In 1992 she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Sadly, the 63 year old international icon passed away one year later due to appendiceal cancer. Audrey Hepburn's selflessness, compassion, and her will to inspire are what makes her my hero.

("Audrey Hepburn." Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2nd ed. Vol. 7. Detroit: Gale, 2004.

314-316. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 4 May 2016. )

(Jalloul, Gheeta. "The My Hero Project - Audrey Hepburn." Myhero.com. N.p., 1 Mar. 2015.  

Web. 29 Apr. 2016. .   )

(Katarina. "The My Hero Project - Audrey Hepburn." Myhero.com. Myhero.com, 14 Sept. 2010.                    Web. 02 May 2016..)

(Lorena. "Audrey Hepburn." Myhero.com. Myhero.com, 11 June 12. Web. 02 May 2016.                            http://myhero.com/hero.asp?hero=A_hepburn_johnhanson_ms_US_2012>.)