Abraham Lincoln

by Enrique from Fresno

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809 in a tiny cabin in Kentucky. Abraham Lincoln was the second child of Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks Lincoln. Nancy died because of milk sickness in 1818 when Abraham was only ten. Thomas Lincoln got remarried the following year to Sarah Bush Johnston. Sarah was mother of three and Abraham grew closer to her. Sarah encouraged Abraham's education. He loved to study and read.

As a young man Abraham worked in many jobs and earned the nickname 'Honest Abe''. Abraham studied the law and became a lawyer in 1836. Abraham fell in love with a girl named Ann Rutledge but Ann died in 1835.Abraham met Mary Todd in 1839 and got married in 1842. Over the next 11 years they had four children - Robert, Edward, William and Thomas.

Abraham was elected as president of the United States and he guides his country through war. Abraham won the Civil War and freed the slaves. Abraham was in a play at Ford's theater. During the play John Wilkes shot Abraham. Abraham died the next day. Abraham Lincoln continues to be a hero today.