Abraham Lincoln

by Stephanie from Wallingford

"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being" -Abraham Lincoln

A hero to me is caring person also a person that is always there for you and a helpful person and a person that stands up for you. Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth president. He was born on February 12, 1809 in the southern State of Kentucky. When Lincoln was about 9 years old his mother died of milk sickness. But some time Abraham Lincoln father was a respected citizen of the Kentucky back country. Lincoln's formal education consisted for about eighteen months of schooling, but he was self educated and an avid reader. He also was a talented local and he had skills with tools like an axe. He did not like l hunting or fishing because he did not like to kill animals and he also would not even cook them as food.

Abraham Lincoln began his political career when was he was just 23 years old in 1832. He was also was with a campaign for the Illinois General Assembly as the member of a Whig party. He believed that this should be to attract steamboat traffic, which would allow the populated, poorer areas along river to flourish. For several months he ran a small store in New Salem but by 1830 he won election to the state legislature. He began to teach law in the 1830s then he wanted to move to Springfield, Illinois but the same year he meet John T. Stuart and he began to practice law with him.

He helped the Union because he wanted slavery to end but he would not tell anyone because that would stir up the south. He has wanted to free the slaves and without slaves in the south then no one would hold down the jobs and we are going to fight. He would not tell people because he would be the most hated person. The number one person that made Lincoln stop slavery was his wife and she was the person that also that knew that he wanted to stop. He told people after a while but he would be the most hated person because he would stop slavery and the South would not have anyone to do their work for them and that means the slave owners in the South would have hire people to do it.

When everyone found out Lincoln wanted to end slavery some agreed with him. That was when the war between the states called the Civil War started. But for the two year the southern states won almost every battle. But on July 1st,1863 the northern states won one of the greatest fights at Gettysburg. But during the same year Lincoln had freed three million slaves. During the next two years, it was opposite of the first two years. In Lincoln's second term Robert. E Lee, who was the commander of all the the confederate armies, surrendered to Grant on April 9, 1865.

Abraham Lincoln is my hero because he has changed the world. In many ways because he has freed the slaves and now the slaves have the same rights as us and they can have what they want now in their lives. He is also very caring and i do not get why someone would want to kill him. Another reason he is my hero is because he will stand up for what is right for him and he will not back down. Well now you know who my hero so you should think about who your hero is and why you like him.