Abraham Lincoln

by Natalie from Wallingford

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Some people consider Abraham Lincoln to be one of the greatest leaders of all time. Even through tough times, he was able to manage to keep the United States together. Throughout Abraham Lincoln's lifetime, he did a number of great things for the United States. One of these actions included going against what many American citizens thought against, abolishing slavery. Despite what others thought about this topic, he continued to fight for what he thought was right, even if his life depended on it.

Abraham Lincoln was born on March 14, 1861 in Kentucky. He later moved to Washington D.C to serve his time as president. He died on April 15, 1865. The choices that he made in office shaped much of what we enjoy and consider to be right in America even today. During his presidency the Southern states wanted to keep slavery, while the Northern states wanted to abolish slavery. Despite the argument between the North and South, he managed to hold the United States together, so that we may enjoy the fruits of our liberty.

Abraham Lincoln was known as an honest man who had a strong drive and determination. Despite what other people's thoughts were about the war, and the fact that he may of had suffered from a depressive illness, he did everything in his power to fight for what he thought was right. He also managed to hold the United States together, despite the huge disagreements between the North and the South. Abraham Lincoln's advice to youth would be to always tell the truth despite the challenges that face you.

Today Abraham's Lincoln is honored by many people, and his birthday is even a national holiday. People admire the way that Abraham Lincoln served the United States throughout his lifetime, and he is even pictured on the five dollar bill. Abraham Lincoln dedicated a major part of his life living with the goal of abolishing slavery and to preserve the Untied States and he succeeded in both of his goals. He died for the American sin of slavery. Some people considered Abraham Lincoln as another George Washington, who was one of the greatest leaders of all time.

Unfortunately, on April 14th, 1865, President Lincoln was assassinated at Fords Theater in Washington, D.C. He accomplished so much in his life and inspired many people to do their best, not to mention the excellent work ethic that he carried through his whole entire life that shows that he was a tremendous leader and also a hero. The most spectacular part of Abraham Lincoln's history is that he wasn't born into fame or fortune, but rather into poverty. Abraham Lincoln had to work extremely hard for what he accomplished. He is my hero because he shows how much you can achieve if you have a good work ethic, and listen to your inner soul.

Abraham Lincoln was an important part of United State's history, and he had the characteristics of a great leader that many people will admire years from today.