Abraham Lincoln

by Lucretia from Wheeling

Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the United States of America. He wrote the Gettysburg Address. It was recited November 19th, 1863. His sister, Sarah, was born two years before him. She was born in 1807. He was born on February 2, 1809.

In 1807 his sister Sarah was born. 1809 he was born. In 1831 he got a job as a clerk. In 1834 he was elected to the Illinois general assembly. In 1842 he married Mary Todd. In 1846 he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. He debated slavery in 1858. In 1860 he became the 16th president of the U.S.A. In 1864 he was reelected. 1865 was the last year of his life, because John Wilkes Booth shot him in the back of the head.

He made the "Gettysburg address'. He also made the also famous "Emancipation Proclamation." It was made to set slaves free. He dedicated a cemetery to soldiers who gave their lives to their country to end slavery in Gettysburg. Which was the 'Gettysburg Address'. It was a over two hundred words long.

He was president for 5 years. He was assassinated in his fifth year. He served for 2 terms. He was in term 1 when he gave the Gettysburg Address. His second term was short, lasting only 1 year. His first term was 4 years.

He is remembered because he wrote lots of famous documents. He is remembered for ending slavery. He dedicated a cemetery to both Union and Confederate soldiers. That shows even when the same country is fighting itself, the President cares about both sides. He even cared about the slaves because he set them free. Abraham Lincoln is my hero because he preserved the country.