Abraham Lincoln

by Paul from Wallingford

Abraham Lincoln (http://www.visitingdc.com/images/abraham-lincoln-picture.jpg)

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. He lived until he was 56 and died on April 15, 1865. He was born in Larue County, Kentucky. He was trying to help all the slaves in the South become free. He didn't believe in slavery and thought that everyman should be free. His actions were important because he stood his ground and never gave up. He made a name for himself while running for the Senate in Illinois, even though he did not win the race. He soon became the President of the United States.

One reason he is my hero is when he was running for the senate in Illinois. He faced off against Stephan A. Douglas in the race. They had seven debates in seven different places. Douglas ended up winning but Lincoln never gave up. He soon became the President of the United States. This meets my definition because Abraham Lincoln fought against Stephan A. Douglas for the Senate in Illinois. He lost the race but he never gave up. He made a name for himself and soon became the President of the United States. In 1856 Abraham Lincoln became a Republican.

Two years later he was nominated to run against Stephan A. Douglas. He accepted the nomination. After having seven debates with Douglas, Lincoln lost the race. Soon after he lost, Lincoln became the 16th President of the United States. Abraham Lincoln made a name for himself running against the famous Stephan A. Douglas.

Lincoln is also a hero because of the way he died. John Wilkes Boothe assassinated him on April 14, 1865. It meets my definition because he fought to get to be the President when he lost the race for the senate. He was so determined that it made a person against him kill him. On April 14, 1865 President Abraham Lincoln went to see a show called "Our American Cousin". It was held at the Fords Theater. Lincoln had seats on the balcony with his wife Mary Todd Lincoln. During the play John Wilkes Boothe cam in from behind, aimed and fired at Abraham Lincoln. Nine hours later at 7:22 am April 15, 1865, Lincoln died. Many people looked up to Abraham Lincoln as their president, as their leader, but now he was gone.

John Wilkes Boothe probably did not think that Abraham Lincoln was a hero. This is because he killed my hero, Abraham Lincoln.

Abraham Lincoln fought for what he believed in while he was alive. That was to free the slaves in the South. Many people disagreed but many took his side. The people who come after him will recognize what he has done to change the United States. They will know that good things come to people who never give up and fight for what they believe in.

What does the word Hero mean to you? Many different people have different opinions of what a hero is. Each person has a specific reason about what they think a hero is. I have my reason as to what I think a hero is, as you will find out later. My hero is Abraham Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln is a hero because he fought for what he believed in and what he wanted and never gave up. He failed at joining the senate but he ended up becoming the President of the United States. In this essay I will prove that Abraham Lincoln was a hero because he fought for what he believed in and never gave up.