Abraham Lincoln

by Jacob from Wallingford

Hero, what does it mean? A hero is someone who overcomes something, saves people for a good deed and who is a leader. Many people that I look up to overcome something and that achieves great things. Abraham Lincoln achieved so much, overcoming challenges, being a president, also he led so many people to become a new and better country. In this essay I will prove to you that he was a great hero in many ways.

Abraham Lincoln was born on Sunday, February 12, 1809 in Hodgenville, Kentucky. He lived with his mother, father, sister and brother. Lincoln helped many people of the U.S. to get their freedom. Before Lincoln was the president of the United States he unsuccessfully ran for the Illinois legislature in 1832. John Todd Stuart encouraged Lincoln to become a lawyer and U.S. representative. In February 1860, Lincoln made his first major political appearance in New York to address Cooper Union. He went on to win the presidential election, defeating the Democrat John C.

Lincoln saved many African American when he was alive. Many of those slaves had very angry owners and if they did something wrong then they might have killed you. Also if he had never come along and be president there would have been a lot more people dead because the Civil War would have gone longer. If this had never happened there wouldn’t be my best friend born because his father is African American and his mother is white. There might not be a black president today.

In February 1860, Lincoln made his first political appearance in the Northeast. He talked to many people at a rally at the Cooper Union in New York. My definition says a hero is a leader and who can overcome something. Lincoln won the presidential election, defeating the Democrats. Lincoln's inauguration was in March of 1861, seven states had won against the Union. On Apr. 12, 1861, South Carolina shot at the fort, and the Civil War began. "In your hands, my dissatisfied fellow-countrymen, and not in mine, is the momentous issue of civil war. The Government will not assail you. You can have no conflict without being yourselves the aggressors. You have no oath registered in heaven to destroy the Government, while I shall have the most solemn one to 'preserve, protect, and defend it'." Abraham Lincoln. Source: March 4, 1861 - Lincoln's First Inaugural Address.

Lincoln’s legacy is huge. If Lincoln had never done anything slavery would have lasted much longer. Some of my friends today might not be living because their mothers are white and their fathers are black. Also there would be a whole different world because the Civil War would have been different and maybe the world today would have changed. For example if the war didn’t end and went on for another 3 years the president’s election would have been changed and everything would have been different. After looking at Lincoln's quotes, he would say, Be who you want to be but be brave and smart on what you pick. Also he would say, Don’t be selfish, think about others.