Bill Clinton

by Jonny from South Dakota

My hero, if I had to pick one, would have to be the forty-second president of the United States, Bill Clinton. Bill was the best post war president in terms of economic recovery. He brought the country back from all time low deficit and by the end of his term turned it into a surplus. He did things that no other president had done before him and made massive improvements in the government and economy.

Bill Clinton was born William Jefferson Blythe the 3rd on August 19, 1946, In the little town of Hope, Arkansas. He was named after his biological father, William Jefferson Blythe the 2nd, however, three months after little Billy's birth, his father was killed in a tragic car accident. Needing a job to support and raise her child, Clinton's mother, Virginia Cassidy Blythe, moved to New Orleans to study nursing while Bill stayed with his grandparents in Arkansas. This is where Bill was taught a lot of the values and beliefs that made him such a strong president. In 1950 Bill's mother remarried to Roger Clinton however Bill refused to adopt the name until he was fourteen and his last name was changed to Clinton.

When people think of Bill Clinton they think about the bad things. But what about all the good he has done. During the administration of William Jefferson Clinton, the United States enjoyed more economic well being and peace than at any other time in American history. While in office he sought legislation to upgrade education, strengthen environmental restrictions, and drop crime rates in many places.

Before Clinton's election he served almost twelve years as the 50th and 52nd Governor of Arkansas. He was the youngest Governor in the country when he was elected at the age of thirty-two. During his two terms he greatly improved education and repaired the many roads in Arkansas that needed it. Even when the government launched the Whitewater Investigation concerning the real estate dealings of Bill and his wife with their associates in the Whitewater Development Agency during the 70's and 80's, Bill Clinton still managed to boost the Arkansas economy and run for and win the presidency of the United States. Even when Clinton was going to get impeached he still managed to serve the rest of his term with no indictments ever sentenced.

All of this happening to Bill has made him, in my mind, a hero. He is invincible in almost every way and unbeatable in his ability to lead an entire nation into a time of peace and prosperity. Not even a super hero could do what Bill Clinton has done for the country and that is why I choose Bill Clinton as my hero.

Bill Clinton - White House history