Brandon Wright's Heroes

by Divya from Baltimore

Brandon Wright's Heroes (newstribune.com)

What would you do if you were a witness to a horrible car accident? Would you stand by shocked? Or would you jump into action to help the victims? This is what a group of bystanders in Logan, Utah, did when they witnessed a BMW pulling out of a parking lot into the path of an oncoming motorcycle. The motorcyclist, Brandon Wright, twenty-one years old, tried to avoid the car but was unsuccessful. He was thrown off his motorcycle and pinned under the BMW. He was unconscious while his motorcycle crashed into the car and busted into flames. To get Brandon out from underneath the BMW, the bystanders lifted the car and pulled him out from harm’s way. They are all heroes because they were brave, determined, and modest. Brave means you don't show fear to dangerous situations. Determination means you don't give up, even if the odds are against you. Modesty means you don't show off or brag about your achievements. These three traits; brave, determined, and modesty, define a hero.

These people all risked their lives to save Brandon. The bystanders who witnessed the accident ran up to the vehicles, to try to help the victims. The driver of the motor vehicle was not seriously injured, so they turned their attention to the victim pinned underneath. They did not expect Brandon to have survived the accident; they just didn’t want his body to burn. Only when a young lady got down on her stomach and looked at Brandon and yelled "He's alive! He's alive" did they realize he was still alive. They all risked their lives coming close to the car, knowing that it could explode any second. They put their lives on the line to save a complete stranger who could have been dead. These people faced fear head on, they are definitely brave.

Besides being brave these people were determined. At first there seemed like there was no way to get Brandon out, but that didn't stop them. They all helped to lift the 40,000 pound car, no matter how small they were compared to it. As soon as he was out, doctors came to his aid and checked his condition. The doctors said that if it weren't for them he would have probably been dead by now. Their determination to lift the car saved Brandon's life.

The people who saved Brandon's life don't see themselves as heroes. "I am no hero," said Svyundikov, a construction worker that helped lift the car. Many if not all of the people who helped save Brandon’s life agree, but everyone else disagrees. They all say that they are not heroes because they just did the right thing. Contrary to them, I believe they are heroes. They were just being modest.

The people who saved Brandon's life play a role in today’s society. Even if they are just ordinary people like you and me. They inspire and influence people to do amazing and great things. They teach people that you can make a difference that you don’t need superpowers or to be famous to be a hero. These people show that all you need to be hero is to be brave, modest and determined.