Benjamin Franklin

by Karl from Coram

One of my heroes that I know of and is a favorite of mine is Benjamin Franklin. He was one of my favorites because of his discovery of electricity. Without Ben’s electrical discovery, then the things we have today that run on electricity wouldn’t have been created. To do this he didn’t use a kite and key that most people had thought, but it was a kite he invented that had metal inside (likely to be mini lightning rods) that stored electricity when lightning had struck. Ben was courageous enough to do this even though he knew that he could get badly damaged, or even get killed. This was the most famous thing Ben did that everyone knows; however this was only one of them.

When doing research on Benjamin Franklin I found information that I never knew about. One thing for certain is that I didn’t know he went to Latin School (he got a withdrawal in 2 years). The start of his love of writing came from being his older brother’s apprentice as a newspaper printer. This paper was called “The New England Covenant.” Ben started to print newspapers telling facts going around town under different names which seems like it was a state law not to do. When his brother James found out he wrote a bad article about religious leaders, that got him arrested. Franklin was brave in doing such a thing, so that gave me some bravery points in doing the right things, even though it was dangerous. Ben always wanted to be a sailor when he was a kid.

Some other people may know Benjamin Franklin from politics. The first political cartoon (and most famous) was called “Join or Die” which was made by Ben for the colonists to join the fight in the American Revolution. Furthermore, Ben went to France to get them on the colonists’ side, but after the Battle of Saratoga that is when the French had decided to join the colonists. After the war was over, Benjamin Franklin was appointed as one of the commissioners to negotiate peace with England, and help with the Declaration of Independence. Even though Ben Franklin wasn’t part of the government, he has still been on our famous $100 bill people want to get so much. Moreover, he wasn’t a US president, but the president of the Pennsylvanian Executive Council.

Benjamin Franklin was also a good inventor, as well as his science. An invention that he made during an extremely icy cold winter, he made the Pennsylvania fireplace which is twice as hot as a normal fireplace. Americans called it the Franklin stove, because of the popularity for creator Ben, which is still used today. After his electric discovery he invented the lighting rod which stores electricity when lightning strikes. A generator he invented was used to see if it worked if the bulb lit up. His other invention was called the bifocals. Bifocals by Ben were created because these are used for the people who were either nearsighted or farsighted. A musical invention Ben made was the glass harmonica.

Ben was also an author. He was an author because he had a love of writing. The start of his writing was from the newspaper printing from before. To get his wife Deborah Read, Ben made poems and letters to send to her. He had also started to teach his writing. Poor Richard’s Almanac was one of his famous books he wrote. Benjamin Franklin made his autobiography in 1758. This autobiography was published after his death were thousands of people who mourned over his death.

Benjamin Franklin was a man that has done many things. I guarantee that this man will be helpful in many of your projects that you might do. The only thing that wasn’t done was math. He did do a math experiment, but that was the only thing that he had done. The experiment was about a number of squares from squares. I think the best thing for you to do about Ben Franklin is to write about his life in one of your essays for history or ELA. This essay is one of them. As said before, Benjamin Franklin is one of my favorite heroes. I hope that you will one day thank him too. I almost forgot, he had also created daylight savings.