Bethany Hamilton

by Damian from Victoria

“Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice.” - Bethany Hamilton
Bethany surfing before the attack. (Google Images)

Bethany Hamilton is a surfer that lost her arm to shark and still surfs.

Bethany Hamilton had a tragic accident in Hawaii on Halloween morning 2003. She was surfing near Tunnels Beach with one of her friends when a shark attacked her and she lost an arm! She was only thirteen when this happened that truly is too young for something like that to happen.

Bethany Hamilton inspires me because she faced the challenge of losing an arm but yet it doesn’t affect her. I think that is so inspiring to have the ability to keep doing what she loves even though something really bad happened to her while she was doing it.

Bethany Hamilton has won many competitions for instance the Haleiwa Menehune championship in 1999. Later in 2000 she got sponsored by Rip Curl which helped her to go pro.

That is why she is my hero.