Soul Surfer Hero/ Bethany Hamilton

by Cassandra from Leonardville

Bethany Hamilton (right) and Anna Sophia Robb ( (bethanyhamilton.com))

Many people believe that just because Bethany Hamilton lost her arm makes her a hero. Or maybe it's just her perseverance that makes her a hero. On that terrible Halloween morning in 2003 a tragedy struck for young 13-year old Bethany Hamilton. Who would have thought a tiger shark would attack in broad daylight. Bethany continued to surf and inspire others after her surgeries and her recovery. Bethany is an inspiration due to her perseverance, determination, and faith.

Perseverance means to have continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation. Bethany Hamilton must have had this in her mind when she was being rushed to the hospital because even though her arm was bitten off just below her shoulder joint, she is still a pro surfer and an inspiration to all of us. She has been involved in many charities since her accident and has persevered through many bad times, like the tabloids calling her an attention-wanter and her recovery from her many surgeries. Perseverance helps a person grow into a more thoughtful and respectable person.

Did the firefighters give up on trying to save people in the rubble of 9/11? No, they did not, they kept going. And that is exactly what Bethany Hamilton. Well, maybe not saving people's lives in the rubble of 9/11 or anything like that, but she kept going when the tough got rough. She was determined to get better and help others who have experienced the same thing that she has. Most people believe that determination comes from wanting to do good at something that they are good at, but really it comes from wanting to help others perform well.

God has helped benefit Bethany Hamilton's life in so many ways. While she was in the hospital her parents had a priest visit her weekly to help her through her surgeries and become well. She and her family believe that God is a reason that she is still alive to this day and that she still has a strong faith in God to help her in life. Faith and hope kind of fall into the same category when it comes to getting through Bethany Hamilton's daily life. Most of her success she has today she says is all thanks to God. She says that if it were not for him, she would not be here and in the condition she is in, she is very thankful for a second chance to do what she loves to do and to be with she loves.

Bethany Hamilton is an inspiration to me as well. She has taught me to not give up even when you want to give up. One of her most inspirational quotes has got to be "I don't really want people looking to me for inspiration. I just want to be a sign along the way that points toward Heaven." What makes this quote so inspiring is the fact that she doesn't want to be looked at like a hero or an inspiration, but really that's what makes her a hero or an inspiration. Bethany has been an inspiration to little surfers everywhere, and even their surf coaches. Bethany is now very involved in little kids' lives. She helps children who are living in poverty and is a spokesperson for a major charity that is involved in women's rights. Some may say that she only does it for the attention, but she says "I love to work with kids and people, so that is why I do this." Inspiration has just spoken.

The Life of Bethany Hamilton - Learn all you want to know all about Bethany Hamilton

Boo!-
That is one word that Bethany did not-
Hear on that-
day-
in her-
life that will forever mark her body-
tiger shark appears and takes her arm off.-
Forever.