Bob Marley

by Skyler from Newark

“Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.”

The first time I heard Bob Marley was on the radio when i was a little kid. The song was Three Little Birds. The music was pretty chill and I liked it but I didn't know what it was so i waited a few years. Then one day I heard the song again, so I asked my mom what the song was and she told me. So I went on youtube and typed in Bob Marley and listened to his songs. That was the beginning of Rastafari for me.

Rasta is a philosophy of life and a religion. Rastafari is a term that comes from both honor and a name ras=chief and tafari which was the first name of Haile Selassie I, prior to his coronation. Bob Marley spread the word of Rasta through his music much like most of the artists in Bob's genre. Most of Marley's music spoke of the rasta life and practices. In the year 2000 Rastafari had more then one million members around the world.

The Rastsafarian lifestyle includes being a vegan. The Rasta dietary guidelines focus on natural, non chemical treated foods. Dietary rules were taken from the Old Testament of the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Although the belief in the use of cannabis is included in the rasta lifestyle it is not for recreational purposes but more for medicinal purposes.

Marley's stay in America was short-lived only about 8 months. He worked to make just enough money to pay his music. Bob went back to Jamaica to rejoin with Peter and Bunny to make the Wailers again. Anyone who think Bob Marley thinks Rasta. It has to be said that Rastafari was the very core of the Wailers music.

Marley was an inspiration around the world. He created happiness and peace. Bob Marley believed in the use of cannabis, yes, but not for recreational use but for medicinal use. Rasta's lifestye seems unappealing to a lot of people but perhaps they don't really understand it. With a little research, maybe people's eyes could be more open and they could understand.

Bob Marley: - My Hero had a strong belief in Rastafarianism