Belen Rambana

by Elizabeth from Tallahassee

Belen Rambana (www.values.com)
Belen Rambana (www.values.com)

Belen Rambana is a Brownie who wanted to do something good for her dad's native Jamaica. When she learned from her auntie that students in Jamaica were in need of some of the same school supplies and personal hygiene items that are inexpensive, Belen decided to help Wolmer's girls ages 10-18 first.

One of the oldest school in the Americas, Wolmer's School is considered among the Caribbean's most prestigious. However, some underprivileged students need everyday items like pens, pencils, toothpaste and shampoo to succeed academically and personally.

Consistent with Wolmer's ethos and the Girl Scout law, a line of which is "to help people at all times", Belen started a school supply and personal hygiene goods drive called "Belen's Friends". Donors are asked to gather items ranging from black ball point pens for use during exams to soap and toothpaste in gallon sized zipper bags which Belen will ship to the West Indies at her own expense.

"She bought everything on the list and then some," said her father, Neil Rambana. "Once she got home from the store, she laid everything out and methodically filled a big Ziploc, making sure everything fit just right," he explained proudly. "Belen is a little girl with a big heart," said McCallum. "Wolmer's motto is Age Quod Agis which means 'Whatever you do, do it well.' Belen is putting her heart and effort into this drive and certainly 'doing it well'," noted her mother.

When school officials learned of the project, Wolmer's principal Colleen Montague said "We are excited and encouraged when we see young people championing others who are in need." Since launching "Belen's Friends" in late October, 2015 dozens of pens and pencils as well as bottles of shampoo and bars of soaps have already been donated from Belen's own Girl Scout Troop 103, her classmates at the Maclay School and family friends. "I'm happy that people are helping," said Belen.