The Batman

by Andrew from Anchorage

Back when i was half my age and half my size I used to sit down in front of my TV and watch a man dressed up as a bat beat up bad guys to help rid the streets of Gotham of evil. I watched all the batman movies whenever I got a chance and watched the whole cartoon series on Cartoon Network. I idealized Batman and he became my hero because of how he was a hero. I could watch and believe that, when i got older, I could do what he did everyday. The traits that made him a hero in my book were his intellect, science and technology, and physical prowess. With all of these traits he is able to stop crime in tracks and be the guardian to the city of Gotham.

Whenever Batman was put into a mess or had a problem he had to deal with, he would always resort to using his brains first and his brawn second. I admired how he would be able to find out the answer to any problem he was put into. I remember a specific time when Mr. Freeze had Batman at gun point in a telescope building, and Batman is smart enough to realize that Mr. Freeze is standing right under a giant piece of rubble from the explosions in the previous fight. So Batman gets Mr. Freeze to start monologueing long enough to let him throw his batrang at the rubble, knocking it down and having it fall on top of Mr. Freeze which completely immobilizes him. While much of this could probably be interpreted as luck and somewhat common sense, I feel it is a perfect example of the power of Batman's intelligence.

While Batman's intelligence goes hand in hand with the science and technology he has; I feel, by itself, the technology and science he uses is another part of what makes him a hero. I feel this is true because only the Batman could use his gadgets and teach the right way to stop crime. It's true that Batman is probably not the smartest person in the world, or the strongest, or even the richest but it doesn't ever stop him from getting the job done and getting it done right, and this comes from how he handles situations with his gear.

Now I know that physical strength isn't much of a Trait to label for a hero. But i don't care because that is what I thought up and I'm sticking to it. It is even more cool with Batman because of how he is just a normal person and not a super powered newb. Plus he manages to overpower many people who are stronger than himself like Venom, and Doc Croc, and others. With all that said I do believe that this is one of Batman's lesser traits and doesn't need to be brought up all too much since he mainly gets by with all his other abilities and just uses his strength as an bonus.

My hero is the Batman and that is for many reasons but it is mainly because of how he was a figure i could look up to as I grew up and imagine myself becoming (without the whole shot parents thing or being rich by birth). He helped me become a honest and trustworthy person and also helped me learn how to be a thankless helper. I owe him a great deal when it comes down to it and I'm not saying that a grew up with no other figures to look up to or that I didn't do anything else with my time, but what I am saying is when i would watch Batman on the screen and see the greatness that came with determination and hard work, it had an effect on me and what I have grown into.