Booker T. Washington

by Stafford from Virginia

Booker T. Washington is my hero because he helped people. He was a good man.

When he was young, his step-father put him and his brothers to work at the salt mines in Malden, West Virginia. But by 1879, Washington began teaching at Hampton Institute. He worked with 100 Native Americans and he was successful.

Washington taught and led the Tuskegee Institute. At Tuskegee, he taught African Americans skills so they could get jobs. During Washington's time at Tuskegee Institute, the Institute became influencial in African-American education. In 1900, Washington helped create the National Negro Business League. Tuskegee had 1,500 students and led the way for other black institutions.

He lived in Franklin County, VA as a slave. Washington's father didn't take any responsibility for him. He lived through 1856-1915. While he lived during the 1860's, the Civil War was raging. He died in 1915 on November 14th. A national monument was built at his birthplace.

Washington is my hero because he was one of the first ones to teach African-Americans and Native-Americans. He was someone who helped farmers, African-Americans and others to have a better life.