Chuck Yeager

by Willy from Glenbrook

"Dreams have only one owner at a time, that's why dreamers are lonely." Quote by; Erma Bombeck
(www.chuckyeager.com)
(www.chuckyeager.com)

My hero is Chuck Yeager. He lived in West Virginia as a kid and enlisted in the army at age eighteen. I chose him because I was interested in how he served in the army and managed to break the sound barrier. Chuck Yeager was brave, kind and helped many people achieve their dreams flying planes. He was also heroic in the army and was a leader in the World War Two bomber squadron. I think Chuck Yeager was a true hero in aviation history.

The main reason I chose chuck Yeager is because he was a great leader and a great pilot in the war. His first mount was a p-51b which he named Glamorous Glenn after his Fiancee, Glennis Faye Dickhouse. Chuck Yeager married Glennis Faye Dickhouse in 1945. He entered combat in February 1944. In battle he claimed ME -109. On his eight combat mission he got shot down in March in England. He managed to live the whole epidemic. I think this is all very heroic and I thought he must have been very brave to do all of that. In 1962 he became the new commander of USAF, preparing people for space flight.

Chuck Yeager was also heroic in the sense of trying new things and trying to achieve his dreams. By this I’m speaking of when he broke the sound barrier on October 14th 1947. He managed this feat at an astonishingly young age of 18 years old. He broke the sound barrier over the town of Victorville, California. This act was great because he succeeded in achieving his life's dream.