The Cancer Organization

by Gabrielle from Fort Wayne

“Be of service. Whether you make yourself available to a friend or co-worker, or make time every month to do volunteer work, there is nothing that harvests more of a feeling of empowerment than..."

To wake up every morning to an annoying ringing alarm; smell of the freshly cut grass sweeping the air with persistence, and then the enchanting radiant light fading into a spectacular blue. You never truly understand what a pleasure it really is to have your 5 senses immerse you with a simple lightness, from a day-to-day basis. “Be of service. Whether you make yourself available to a friend or co-worker, or make time every month to do volunteer work, there is nothing that harvests more of a feeling of empowerment than being of service to someone in need,” Gillian Anderson. A quote that appears blunt, and simple, however became a horrid experience I pray will never furthermore be repeated. This is a pain-etching experience of the word “cancer.”

Only then did I find a meaning of this quote being foretold.

Another dreary sunset has swept my eyes, ready for slumber. I was off to bed, trying to fall asleep until my mother came tumbling through my door. Her hand swiftly adjusted, handing me the telephone. While wiping my eyes, I grasped onto the rectangular form of technology. “Hello,” I say. I heard nothing. An utter silence, strange. I then heard a voice, it was one of my most treasured friend’s since 1st grade. “Gabby,” her voice drifted off sounding tiresome, vanished. “My dad just died.” At that time my mind was perplexed before me. What could I say? How could I serve as guidance? My subconscious wanted to shatter before me. However I knew what had to be said. “I’ll always be here when you need me, and I know you do.” I came over to her house, feeling her dread. It wasn’t easy enough to just say, ‘hey cheer up,’ this was harder. I sat next to her able see and feel her brokenness from her hands, to her eyes, longing for justice. Cancer. The death of this life was skin cancer.

Over the next few days, her behavior was quite abnormal, because she acted normal. Not because she was, but because she wanted to forget. I can still easily remember the sheer, thin piece of glass surrounding her. So all I could do was try my best to comfort the broken pieces, by rearranging them to help.

The day of the funeral, walking through those doors, smiles portrayed the view of peaceful happiness. Voices clattered. Voices chattered. That day was not only my best friend’s death of her father, but also the first funeral I have ever gone to. My eyes from then on rose to the presence of death. I began to understand just how fortunate I was.

There are so many rising issues around the world that make it harder explain. Some of us have gifts able to give comfort to the harsh and cruelty of reality. Most of us have no one. And while we know it’s a difficult challenge as we hear from the outline, cancer patients continuously have to deal with the emotional and fatigue part, all the time. What’s probably the most important of all is to express your genuine love towards that person. Support them. This will show them you truly do care. It can also helps them become a stronger person. Knowing this, there are hundreds of cancer groups around the world. Some of the most highly recognized for example may be the American Cancer Society, Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation, and Lymphoma Research Foundation of America, Skin Cancer Foundation. Even if your struggle in your life isn’t a type of cancer, but may have a disability or a turning point in your life, there are many ways for the community to unite what ever the struggle is. It’s important to know that, to grasp that knowledge for every life living. Because we are alive, and we can make a difference.

So who exactly is the hero to this issue? It can be the scientists, or the volunteers, or the donations. However it also means that everyone or anyone who contributes in some sort of act is the hero. Anyone is possible to make a difference. No matter if its cancer, hunger, or to make an A from a D at school. It all depends on the present of what we do today.

After I experienced the nature of cancer. I was able to mature and grow. The death of one life has dramatically impacted mine. And because of that I would like to help give back towards the community. At school, I have volunteered in the interact club for underprivileged children. Interact helps give food or goods to the homeless in need. I also try to be more outgoing my interacting with the S.A.D.D. club. This club is about the dangers of alcohol. This is also something I hold dear to my heart, because more than 1 million people will easily die of an alcohol related use. For the time being, I’m trying my best to live in the present giving more to our society. My eyes have finally awoken to the dangers of what lays.. People should be able to want to volunteer automatically, and that’s that. It’s a privilege to live, embrace the present.

To wake up every morning to an annoying ringing alarm; smell of the freshly cut grass sweeping the air of a disbranching persistence, and then the enchanting radiant light fading into a spectacular blue. You never truly understand what a pleasure it really is to have your 5 senses emerge you with a simple lightness, from a day-to-day basis.