Derek Bates

by Carissa from Iowa

My hero is Mr. Bates. He is our student teacher. He is my hero because he sets a good example for everyone. He just came here this year, and is leaving on Friday. Everyone that had a chance to meet him is really going to miss him. He has made an impact on everyone.

I really like his teaching technique too because he makes things interesting, but yet we are all still learning at the same time. I wish all the teachers would teach like that because it makes school more enjoyable.

When he got here he was really quiet, but once he got to know everyone he was more like a teacher to us. Once he got here I found out we were cousins, so that was awesome too. I hope that when he leaves that he finds a good teaching job that he likes, and I hope he keeps his same confidence and teaching skills that he had with us. I think if he does that then he will be a pretty good teacher.

When he was here he also helped us with any other problems we had. Like problems that dealt with things other than school work. I liked that about him because I think that all teachers should be there for you if you need some help with something outside of school.

He was also never in a bad mood, and if he was he never let it show. I think it also made everyone else be in a good mood because if a teacher is in a bad mood it kind of brings everyone else down too. He also always asks everyone how they are doing when they walk in the room. I think that is really nice because it makes me feel good, and I’m sure it makes everyone else feel good too! That is why Mr. Bates is my hero, and always will be!