Daniel Bernstein

by Haabil from Newark

My name is Haabil. I was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Hypoplastic left heart means that you have a low oxygen level and can't do stuff that other people can do. I can't run a lot, I take medication and cannot do some sports like football.

Dr. Daniel Bernstein
Dr. Daniel Bernstein

The hero I picked is my doctor, Daniel Bernstein. He is a cardiologist at Stanford Hospital. My doctor went to Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York [1983] and went to UCSF Medical Center in California [1986]. I see him every six months for a checkup at Stanford. He has been my doctor ever since I was born.

Stanford Hospital
Stanford Hospital

I was born at Washington Hospital. The doctors said I had a heart problem so they took me to Stanford Hospital. When I got there my doctor, Daniel Bernstein, did open heart surgery. After that I got better. I had three open heart surgeries. I have to do a blood draw so he can know that I take my medication every month.

In conclusion, my heart doctor, Daniel Bernstein, is my hero because he fixed my heart and is a nice person. I'm very grateful to have a doctor like him.