David Jocko Garcia

by Rafael from Lake Andes, South Dakota

My name is Rafael Garcia and I am a cancer survivor. I am writing to you about my brother, David Garcia. We are from Lake Andes, South Dakota. My brother passed away on August 21, 2007 from Acute Leukemia (cancer). We both had the same cancer, but before he passed away, the small community of Lake Andes, South Dakota, raised money to donate for him and our family's struggles with the effects of going through something like this. Along with this, they proclaimed a day in his honor, David Garcia Day.

We celebrate LIFE, LOVE, HOPE, FAITH, AND MOST OF ALL LOVE. I know there our many stories out there just like his. But what makes his story different is he is a young Native American and from a community based on racial trials. The community came together to help this young boy in his struggle to want to live this life. Sometimes we take this life for granted, but they gave him little hope and he gave a lot of people the same thing in return. I will be sending a story my mom wrote on behalf of my brother. Hopefully, you or someone will take an interest in our story. Thank you and God bless you.

Through all this my mother stood by her son only to end up homeless. She's been through divorce, poverty, homelessness, to losing her son, brother, and her father and her family (divorce), all within the last ten years. As her son, it breaks my heart to see my mom struggle everyday. She can't provide for herself because she can't go back to nursing. She has a degree in nursing but can't do that work yet because it reminds her of her son. She helps others more than she ever helps herself. We as a family try to stand together, but when you come from poverty it makes it twice as hard. We all believe in Jesus. He keeps us going everyday.

I just wish and pray someday someone will listen to our story and help ease our mother's burdens. Or just listen...

David Garcia Day July 29th Held Annually

To Whom It May Concern:

I needed to write and tell my story because if it’s not done, no one will know. No one can tell this story but me. I see signs everyday in Jesus that David truly blessed me and his family. It’s just hard to decide what direction I need to go in. I have begun this story countless times. I have pondered over exactly what and how to say things. The one thing that forever stays in my mind is the fact that David’s story needed to be told. I am a 54-year-old American Indian woman, enrolled in the Crow Creek Sioux Tribe in South Dakota. Some of my accomplishments are as follows: I was a wife for 24 years, I was a single mom of eight children since 1996, I became a Registered Nurse in 1990 and my finest accomplishment is being the school nurse for the Crow Creek Tribal Schools, Stephan, South Dakota for ten years (1996-2006). The relationships I acquired will forever stay with me. I feel no greater attainment when being recognized and hugged by the school children I cared for.

David Jocko Garcia was born in Yankton, South Dakota on a cold and frigid afternoon February 12, 1991. He was the eighth child that heard my heartbeat, my fifth son. The brother of three sisters, (Tonya, Sissy, Chrissy) and four brothers (Antonio, Rafael, Fernando, Tracy), he would also become the step-brother to two more brothers and three sisters. His immediate tiospaye (extended family) would enlarge to ten nephews and two nieces.

Challenger, warrior, believer in Jesus, my friend, these are a few words that I use to describe my son, David. I am forever grateful, forever awed by the determination of a young son who was diagnosed with a terrible, awful, ugly disease of Leukemia, which began the fight of a champion. Countless times my son, David, fought the great battle of trying to stay in this world. He was only seven years old on Mother’s Day in 1998 when this disease became apparent in our lives once again. Earlier in our life in 1978, this disease tried to claim one of my older sons, Rafael. In 1979, at the age of 9 months, my son Rafael Lance fought this monster.

Now, this is a completely different story, but not to diminish Rafael’s battles, this story is about David. Countless times the main question of why two of my sons can have the same disease roamed through the deep dark crevices of my mind. Where was the light to lighten these dark images? What do I do? Who do I believe in? Why do I feel so alone? Where is my heart? It feels so broken. This happens only in the stories of magazines and books or to other people. Not to me. Statistics of the morbidity of this disease gave us all the uplift in our hearts to know that there was such a gigantic chance that my son David would defeat this disease, like his brother, who now is a blessed survivor of 31 years. It never occurred to me that my son would lose one of his battles. I forever just simply believed that this monster would be defeated, with the knowledge of David’s determination and Rafael’s history. Rafael was considered CURED in 1989.

The belief that David would triumph and beat this disease was always in the utmost corners in my mind. It never occurred to me that David would cease to exist in this world before me, I was taught to believe that parents were the first to leave this world. David endured three years of chemotherapy, after initially reaching “remission”, which meant no traces of the leukemia, was evident in his bone marrow. In 2006, when everyone was celebrating Mother’s Day, David was told he had relapsed with this awful disease, and the battles began again. He was always the first to say, “Let’s fight this, we did it before, we can do it again.” My thoughts, my feelings, my heart believed and never faltered in my support for my son.

Another round of chemotherapy and this time we will be trying a bone marrow transplant. Arrangements were made for David’s immediate siblings for blood tests to determine if a match could be found to help David. David’s sister, Sissy Marie, age 20, was found to be a perfect match. WooHoo!! We’re on our way to Minneapolis, to the University of Minnesota-Fairview, to have a bone marrow transplant on October 3, 2006. Remarkably, the bone marrow transplant was considered a success. When it became time to be discharged, our doctors reported that David did not experience any marked febrile temperatures, but rather sailed through the time he was hospitalized.

Where do I begin with the story of a remarkable young man who wanted to stay in this world where he felt so protected and loved by a family, a huge tiospaye of people and friends that loved David and caused them to think and pray about God and his miracle of life. Many people took the time to pray and think of God when David’s name was mentioned. A young man who bridged a humongous gap between cultures that was historically prejudicial in nature in all aspects of life. Remarkably, a small town in eastern South Dakota became united in the effort to help a young American Indian in his battle against a terrible disease. Negative stereotypes about American Indians fostered a hurt between the cultures with numerous conflicts and much misunderstanding.

A legacy follows this young man, whom people honored with a special day set aside, to remember his struggles and his extraordinary battles to remain in this life. July 29, 2006 was proclaimed “DAVID GARCIA DAY” in support of David’s personal challenge. The city of Lake Andes, South Dakota motivated David by their support and pride for him. When this first day arrived, David was fighting one of his battles, and he acquired a bacterial infection that became sepsis. It was a very emotional time. It was a beautiful day. As all David’s family, his friends and the people of Lake Andes were showing their support with fun and games and raising money to help David, we were curled up in a hospital bed. I truly believe that this knowledge gave David the strength he needed to succeed in this battle. My own reaction to the news of the proclamation was SHOCK!! Living in South Dakota, and being an American Indian, life was difficult, especially with race relations, and to hear that Charles Mix County, Lake Andes, South Dakota was honoring my son was just simply breathtaking, and my thoughts of David bridging that gap were powerful...

A true inspiration to many people touched by his life, he was an ordinary young man that was extraordinary with the way he made people feel about themselves. A talented athlete, football and basketball were his pride and joy, not only playing, but any mention of the Philadelphia EAGLES or the love of Tracey McGrady would never diminish. Perhaps it was also the tremendous love of pro wrestling that fueled his passion for life. Monday nights were reserved to watching David’s face light up when wrestling came on the television, but also the smiles and laughter were there on Friday night, too. David’s smile is what I remember the most. Even the times he was so close to losing any battle, the smile was there, but his eyes told me different, countless times.

David’s quest for learning began at an early age, why not? He had many role models in his life to learn from - his brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandparents, nephews, nieces, friends, his wonderful teachers and his parents. Math was his most gifted area; in 1998 David received an award from President George Bush for his accomplishments in math, with scoring Nationally in the 96th percentile. Countless stories of his remarkable ability to answer questions in current events or of his ability to even know a teacher's question before it was asked. He had an amazing photographic mind. David was full of questions. Never one to just accept things such as they were, he questioned everything. David became a wise soul in a young body. A body that would fail him in his most triumphant battle.

David’s medical care began in Sioux Falls, South Dakota with chemotherapy. He then was transferred to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he endured a bone marrow transplant. After hospitalization, we lived at the Ronald McDonald House, another blessing, while David recuperated.

“This is the house where families meet to continue their lives, to eat and sleep, to find their strengths and dry their tears. Help them to look forward with hope to better years. This is the house that becomes their home. This is the home that LOVE built!”

How true these words. Many heartfelt thanks to the Ronald McDonald House Charities for their hospitality. This was indeed our HOME away from HOME. David’s team of specialists determined that he could go back to South Dakota in February of 2007. Officially leaving the Minneapolis area, it was quite emotional to leave the comfort and security, but from all indications David was on his way to an extraordinary recovery once again. His dreams consisted of going back to school, playing football, basketball, tinkering with his PlayStation 3, and being around his family and friends, and one day becoming a National football player for the Philadelphia Eagles and attending the University of Oklahoma.

This is what we thought, but the disease had another agenda. David began complaining of his back hurting him soon after we got back to South Dakota. We became concerned, and took David back to his doctors in Sioux Falls. Our doctors reassured us that David’s pain was muscular in nature and we were sent home. The pain never did leave him and by the end of April, we began the struggles all over again. A third relapse?! “This can’t be happening” went through my mind over and over again; even as we were being airlifted back to Minneapolis. Our loving son, brother, nephew, grandson, friend fought his greatest battle and lost on August 21, 2007.

Special loving thanks again for all the encouraging and kind things we may receive on behalf of David. David’s family truly sends their blessings throughout the MY HERO family. We will use the generous words or help to continue to spread David’s legacy for all those who choose to believe. We are forever grateful to those for giving us the opportunity to be able to celebrate life, faith, hope, love, and most of all God with David’s family and friends on his special day.

Special loving thanks for listening and supporting our family and helping us reach others to find the true meaning of family, love and having faith through anything in this life. If you can help support us in any way, it would be helpful. We want to use David's Day just as you use your way of helping kids. We want David's Day for the kids and families still going through, or who will be going through, all that comes with cancer. We want to give back so hopefully you can help. Thank you. God bless you.

We are so fortunate, so grateful, so blessed to have been able to share this experience with the blessed people from the MY HERO family. If we could make one last request on behalf of David and all the children and families who have or will be going through what we have gone through, we are in the process of starting a foundation to help support Native American Children & Families dealing with the effects of Leukemia. If you could help in any way, we would appreciate all the help. Thank you for listening to our story and may God bless you.

Sincerely,

The David Garcia Family

BELOVED

Sometimes I have warm tears upon my cheek from the memories of
Holding you in my arms, my precious baby boy, and my beloved son.
All the years came and went too fast, and so did you.
I love you, David, believe me that is true.

Rubbing your back at bedtime, Oh, how I wish I could,
I would rub your back until the morning light comes just to be next to you.
You touched so many with your friendship, with your love, your spirit and your charm with so many hidden talents in just your smile and your mind.
So much tenderness and kindness in everything you did, and with everyone you met.

So many smiles, so many friends, so many memories:
My tears fall like rain drops, I miss you my son...
Each day brings only tears of sadness, moments of numbness, emptiness and pain…
An aching heart; my life will never be the same.

If I had only known God would call you home, I would have held on to you more tightly...I would never have let you go. WE would have kept you closer. But I know

It was selfish of us to think that...
You were a gift from God; it was time to give you back.
You showed us a way home. We will follow and be where we all belong,
I know now I never lost you. God only embraced you with his LOVE.

Things I may have said or done to cause you sadness. I am sorry for things, I never got to say, I was sure there would be other days...Being a Mother, I took for granted each day with you, I was sure I would be sent home first...You were born from my heart; I carried you inside me; for sixteen years I held you in my arms,
You live once again inside me, only this time you live in my heart,
Forevermore, you will constantly be in my heart and my life.

Please soften me, guide me to love the one’s you loved so dear;
Your sisters, your brothers from the heart, I know they miss you;
Your precious nephews and nieces, friends from whom you touched.
Help me to understand; give me strength without guilt.
Things left unsaid, things left unfinished will be considered done in heaven;
There’s only one thing left for me now and that is hope, love and belief.

Faith in God above and one day, my sweet David…
We will all be together again, without pain or sorrow…for all eternity.
I was so blessed to have you in my life, so proud to be your mother
So very proud of the young man you were becoming
I thank you sweet David for your inspiration to my life;
To your brothers and sisters and your Father…
I MISS YOU MY PRECIOUS DAVID and I love you…forever….

American Cancer Society - on Acute Myeloid Leukemia
Our Superman - David's Day will and is always be about family to remind us Jesus loves each and everyone of us

David's Day will and always will be about family, whether it's family blood or family connected through God.. We all are suffering from the evils of this world...This day is to remind us Jesus loves each and everyone of us non-believers...believers...those lost...those who still need to be found...One day there is no more pain...no more sorrow..we all will get our wings...all it takes is to believe in Our Lord and Savior Jesus.

Our brother passed away on August 21, 2007 from Acute Leukemia (Cancer). We both had the same cancer, but before he passed away the small community of Lake Andes, South Dakota, raised money to donate for him and our families' struggles with the effects of going through something like this. Along with this they proclaimed a day in his honor, which is David Garcia Day.

We celebrate LIFE, LOVE, HOPE, FAITH, AND MOST OF ALL LOVE. Come celebrate in support of his legacy...

I have been praying and thinking about my brother's day and I had a really good thought. I remember everything that we went through with David. I was there with my mom helping her with David's battle. Not a lot of people are aware of the strength you have to go through in something like that. Not only the battle, but also dealing with a broken family and poverty. Through everything we have gone through, we found Jesus on the other side waiting for us and comforting us. God gave David and each of us the strength to go through the storm of what our family and many families go through everyday. We fought one another; at one point we couldn't even stand being in the same room with one another, and after David left he took all that pain we had been holding for so long. He took that with him because he was our gift. Our little gift from God. We started to love one another, we started to help one another, we started to just care for each other again. A family trying to find God, a family trying to stand together. In God's eyes we ALL are a family and we ALL are trying to reach that goal and stand at the right hand of God with our Lord and Savior Jesus.

This is what David's Day should and will represent - Family, Love, Faith and Hope - because we all are trying to find God and find peace. Through your help, we can share this message and help families and those who are suffering find God. We can share this message with those who have been touched by cancer, with broken families and those who have lost their faith in God. We want to give this day to kids because that's where it starts - to give them something to believe in, something they can see in this life, that, no matter what, God is real and he does exist. These are my thoughts and thank you for everything. God bless you. I will see you in heaven.