David Livingstone

by Kaleb from Pataskala

David Livingstone was one of Europe's great heroes throughout the 1800s. He explored places that no European has ever explored before, and was a great leader on his expeditions. He was a cottage mill worker until his spiritual awakening in 1833. Soon after, he attended medical school and received his degree from Glasgow University. Also, he married his first expedition leader's daughter, Marry Moffat, with whom he was a loyal husband and birthed 6 children.

One reason David Livingstone is a hero because on his first expedition ever, he was mauled by a lion and survived. He not only fully recovered; he lived to go on many more expeditions throughout Africa. I think that after he survived the lion attack, he saw himself in a whole new light. Because he was such a spiritual man, I think he may of thought from then on that he survived because he was serving God's will, and God wanted him to continue exploring Europe. Also, only a year later is when he married his wife, Marry Moffat.

After Livingstone discovered Upper Zambezi he was an international hero throughout Europe. He then developed a goal to introduce trade to the African Interior. He then set out on a three year expedition to explore the African Interior from coast to coast. In this expedition he saw and experienced things that no European had ever seen or experienced before him. Among these new experiences, he was the first European to see Mosi-oa-Tunya (Victoria Falls). He did, though, fail to make inroads in Africa due to the Boer opposition. Also during this expedition he saw to extend the gospel and abolish the slave trade. Being a Christian man, he did not believe in the idea of slavery, he believed it to be evil.

Livingstone had come very far on his beliefs and was one of the most famous men in Europe at the time because of it; he should be an inspiration to all of us. He had returned to England for the third time and had made a household name for himself through his book Missionary Researches in South Africa. He then set out for many years of searching for the source of the Nile River in Egypt. Only after he explored the Indian Ocean did he decide to search for the source of the Nile. Although he failed to find the source of the Nile he "produced a complex body of knowledge that took decades to mine." Also during his exploration he was rumored dead throughout Europe until 1871 when he met with a reporter named Stanly. This meeting was much publicized because he is now not dead at all. He did die, however, on May 1, 1973 and is now buried in West Minister Abby in London.

Livingstone had come very far on his beliefs and was one of the most famous men in Europe at the time because of it; he should be an inspiration to all of us. He had returned to England for the third time and had made a household name for himself through his book Missionary Researches in South Africa. He then set out for many years of searching for the source of the Nile River in Egypt. Only after he explored the Indian Ocean did he decide to search for the source of the Nile. Although he failed to find the source of the Nile he "produced a complex body of knowledge that took decades to mine." Also during his exploration he was rumored dead throughout Europe until 1871 when he met with a reporter named Stanley. This meeting was much publicized because he is now not dead at all. He did die, however, on May 1, 1973 and is now buried in Westminster Abby in London.

David Livingstone - Africa's Great Missionary and Explorer