David Wilkerson

by J.M. from Ohio

Picture of David R. Wilkerson (wordpress.com)

As a 15 year old, one of my heroes and someone I greatly respect is a pastor named David Wilkerson. His life contained shame which led to joy when his trouble with the police led Wilkerson to a special connection with some of the toughest gangs in New York City. I learned from this story an important lesson. Even though I might be discouraged at my life and failure, God can work good in spite of me. Though in some aspects I disagree with Mr. Wilkerson spiritually, he brought an important message: Jesus died for the sins of many.

David Wilkerson, a country preacher, felt a calling to go to New York City. After much convincing, his small church of farmers and other country folks sponsored Wilkerson on a trip to New York. What brought Wilkerson out there was when he read in a newspaper about a group of teenage boys who had murdered a fifteen-year-old polio victim. But instead of feeling shock and abhorrence Wilkerson was filled with compassion for these evil-minded gangsters. On his first trip he tried to see these boys at their trial but got in trouble with the police. Little did Wilkerson know that the gangs would see this confrontation with the police as cool and that they would want to listen to this trouble-making pastor.

Although this seems like a complete failure, I love how God turned evil into good. God gave Wilkerson the urge to go back to New York again and he had to overcome his pride and listen to God. God worked with Wilkerson and the many gangs in New York City and Satan lost a great number of souls in his power. Through drug addictions, hatred, loneliness, and violence, God used Wilkerson to be a light to many sinners. For example, one of the toughest, meanest gang leaders, who hated this pastor, accepted Christ through a simple sermon that Wilkerson gave. God supplied money and other resources to him and he took those resources and started an organization: a Teen Challenge Center. I do not expect my life to be so dramatic but I hope God will apply the same amazing works to my life and that I would do all I can for the glory of God.