Daunte'

by Quinnyana from Blue Sky

Not many people can touch your heart like my little cousin Daunte' did. He brought this light and this happiness into everyone's lives. Even to a stranger just walking down the street, Daunte' would take one look and smile. Almost right away that person fell in love with a loving boy who was born a comedian.

May 19, 2001 was the day that changed my life. Daunte' was born. I will never forget seeing all the joy on everyone's faces. Especially the looks in his parents' eyes. They were so happy and so grateful to be blessed with such an amazing baby boy. I never thought I could love someone as much as I loved Daunte'. He made me laugh, but he had this amazing ability of making me cry. Whenever he would do something bad like through food around the house, there was no way of yelling at him or getting upset because he would just give you this one look that just made you melt and love him 10 times more.

Daunte' sitting on his mom's lap (Personal photo)

I remember this day like it was yesterday, January 13th, 2003. That was the day that my little angel was taken away from me. He wasn't sick or anything. He was actually as healthy as any 2 year old. That day broke my heart and ruined my life. On January 13th, my brother had a basketball game so my mom and I went. It was about second quarter and my brother's team was up. I remember my older brother, Katon running into the gym. He was crying and I already knew that something was wrong because my brother never cries.

He ran towards my mom and I. All I remember him saying is "We need to go to the hospital now. Daunte's dead." Right then and there I felt my stomach sink into my back. I was speechless. Words can't describe how and what I felt. I remember getting to the hospital. It wasn't till I saw him laying there, cold and still that I realized he was really gone. Everyone held him. He felt so cold. As cold as an iceberg. That was the first time I ever saw a dead body just coming out of the hospital. Daunte' died by choking on a balloon he had found around the house.

Even though on that night everyone lost Daunte'. Everyone will always remember him. I will never forget the one saying he would say all the time. "Ya mean son!" He would make everyone laugh when he said that. He was only 2 so he kinda still had that baby talk. Daunte' was my angel and most of all my hero. Even though he died when he was only 2 years old, he taught me to live life to the fullest and enjoy everything around you because one day it can be gone.