Timothy Dicus

by Jacob from Sycamore Junior High

My hero, Tim Dicus<br> (cnn.com)
My hero, Tim Dicus
(cnn.com)

Have you ever swum in shark infested waters? (Hopefully not) Tim Dicus does every day. One day, Tim had to risk his life because of a shark. Read and find out how Tim turned out.

My hero is Tim Dicus. He is a 54 year-old Destin, Florida resident who has been enjoying the surf there since he was little. He had always watched the tourists, just to make sure they didn’t venture too far out, because he knew that, if you did, you would be in shark territory. Today Tim must have let his guard down because two teenage girls slipped pass Tim’s watchful eye.

Dicus heard a loud scream. He turned and saw a girl swimming and screaming frantically. He also saw the body of 14 year-old Jamie Daigle, surrounded in a pool of blood. He swam back to the girl, pulled her on his board and swam. The shark kept biting at Jamie’s feet. Dicus got Jamie to shore but not quickly enough. Jamie died two days later at an area hospital.

I think Tim Dicus is a hero on the spot. It states in the book “one instant you’re a passerby, and the next you’re called upon to save someone’s life. That is why I think Tim is a hero on the spot. He was enjoying surfing that day, but in a split second he had to save someone from a shark.

Obviously Tim Dicus was a hero. He still surfs in shark infested waters every day. Hopefully I have not scared you so much that you won’t go in the ocean. This was a rare instance where the girl was swimming out way too far. If you stay close enough to the shore you SHOULD be ok.

Griffen, Drew .G . CNN.com. 15 Aug. 2005. 07 Oct. 2005