Ernest Shackleton

by David from Hillsborough

Heroes are confident, considering and are good leaders. Ernest Shackleton fits all of those traits. Ernest Shackleton is one of those surviving and explorer hero. This is why I think Ernest is a hero.

Ernest was born on February 15th 1874 in County Kildare, Ireland. His father Henry farmed on Kilkea and his mother Henriatta was descended from the Fitzmaurice’s. At age 13 he went to college and at age 16 he joined the merchant Navy. Ernest has always thought about life at sea. In this action he joined a crew at age 26, a British expedition to reach the South Pole first led by Robert Falcon. With inspiration by Robert, Ernest decided to make his own crew. After many tries of going to the South Pole he made it on December 5th 1994. This trip would bring Ernest fame and fortune. However, when his ship got stuck in arctic ice he turned the switch to survival.

What makes Ernest a hero are three simple traits: confident, considering and a good leader. He’s confident because he promised to himself that he’ll bring back each one of his crew members back in one peace when they got stuck in the arctic ice. He is thoughtful since he saw his crew members getting sick and decided to go back home just when they were only miles away from reaching the South Pole. In addition he is a good leader ever since the ship got stuck and broke down and he had to lead all his troops to survival. Those are the traits why Ernest is a fantastic hero.

Shackleton is very confident - that is his main trait. Confidence is the main trait for a hero. Without it they wouldn’t be a great hero. Shackleton works hard to reach a goal so there’s where Shackleton has his confidence. Example of his confidence is when he betrothed himself to bring back each of his men without one scratch. In addition, he thinks that he can cross the whole south pole with all of his men still alive. So you can see why confidence is the main thing for a hero.

In summation, Ernest is one of the best heroes of that time. Ernest can use his head and confidence to escape anything and survive. Being strong or being famous doesn’t mean that they're a hero. However, being a great leader, self-assured and affectionate - with these traits people can become a great idol. Remember that heroes can be anyone.