George W. Bush

by Matthew from Yucaipa

Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended.
Official Presidential Photo (Aol Images)

My hero is George W. Bush. He was born on July 6, 1946, in New Haven Connecticut, and was raised in Houston, Texas. He attended Yale University in 1968 and received a bachelor's degree in history. He also received an MBA from Harvard University. I think he is a good hero because he served in the Texas Air National Guard, he ran for president and followed his dreams, and he travels the world speaking to other leaders trying to make peace with our enemies.

Bush in the National Guard (AOL Images)
Bush in the National Guard (AOL Images)

The first reason George W. Bush is a great hero is because he served in the Texas National Guard. He flew in an F-102 fighter jet and protected us from enemies. He served from 1968 to 1973. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant in 1970. He was considered to be "a dynamic outstanding young officer" who stood out as "a top notch fighter interceptor pilot." (Wiki) He showed himself to be a natural leader according to his commander, and other pilots looked to him for guidance.

Presidential Inauguration (Baptiststandard.com)

The second reason George W. Bush is my hero is because he ran for president and followed his dreams. He was elected on January 20, 2001 and re-elected on November 2, 2004. He faced a lot of challenges as president; for example, 9-11. He had only been president for about 8 months, but he handled it well. I also think he is a good hero because he cares about education. In 2001 he passed the No Child Left Behind Act, which means every kid has to pass a certain test. I like that idea because if all the kids study and pass the test, they will be able to get a good job when they are older. And doesn't every parent want that for their children? That is the second reason why I like George W. Bush.

Terrorist Attack on September 11 (NRC-CNRC)

The third reason George W. Bush is my hero is because he stands by his convictions and is not indecisive. He showed integrity by going to war and fighting our enemies even when it wasn't popular. He attempted to make peace with other countries, but when we were attacked by terrorists on September 11, 2001, he fought back. It was his responsibility as president to protect the United States and he took it seriously. Since that incident, the U.S. has not had another successful attack against us by terrorists.

These are three important reasons why George W. Bush is my hero. He is an excellent example of leadership by demonstrating responsibility, integrity, and honesty. As you can see he is a great man.

Bush National Guard Wikipedia - National Guard Service
George W. Bush - White House Biography
George W. Bush Library - Presidential Center Library and Museum
Presidential Library
Speech at Whitehall Palace