Uncle Jeff

by Mary from Glenbrook

"A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road." By Henry Ward Beecher

How many people do you know that suffer from brain cancer? Seven years ago my uncle was diagnosed with brain cancer. Last summer was when I was first told about my uncle’s sickness. I have lived a majority of my life totally unaware with everything he has to deal with. My uncle is known as the comedian of the family. He is always making people laugh with his witty humor and prankster ways. My uncle is my hero because if you met him on the street you would never know what his is trying to overcome. You would never be able to tell his pains. He is reluctant to give up hope. A hope so strong it over powers his weaknesses. Many people are uneducated about Brain cancer, but what many people are aware of is something called a brain tumor.

Do they know what a brain cancer is and that it can grow into a life threatening disease? Brain Cancer is the leading cause of children’s death. Out of the 40,000 people diagnosed in 2002, 17,000 people died. And 190,000 people were diagnosed with primary or secondary brain tumors last year.

What can you do to prevent it? Doctors aren’t sure how it happens, they can’t explain it because it can occur with no cancer cells or malignancy. There are two main types of brain cancer: primary brain cancer and metastatic brain cancer. My uncle has Metastatic brain cancer. As I said before my Uncle was diagnosed seven years ago. The doctor told him about three years ago that it wasn’t likely that he would live much longer.

I guess that the saying “Make every last moment count” really applies here. He has three daughters, all of whom were barely over the age of 5 when he was diagnosed. The cancer never seemed to stop my uncle though. My uncle owns his own business, takes care of his family and two dogs and still has enough energy to put up with the rest of my family on various occasions. His humor has always been one of my aunt’s favorite qualities about him. Our family loves him more and more as he puts up with the headaches, nausea, seizures and mental changes. My family still has faith and so does he.

A few days ago my uncle underwent surgery. The surgery went well but he is still in the hospital while doctors study the tumor that they withdrew from his brain. I am proud to say my uncle is my hero for everything that he is and everything he has been through. If you are lucky enough to meet my uncle on the street, you will hopefully not recognize him for his brain cancer but for his humor, courage, and ability to crack you up! ;)

Medicine Net - For more information about Brain Cancer click this.