King Arthur

by Mikey from Largo

"We are Knights of Justice. We pledge fairness to all, to protect the weak and vanquish evil".

This was said by the most well known Knight and the One True King of the Britons, none other than King Arthur.

The birth of King Arthur was in the early 6th Century. His death was at the Battle of Camlann in 542 AD. Most people say that the timeline of his life is not exact because most everything about him was passed on by lore.

Arthur's father King Uther Pendragon was in love with the Igraine the wife of the Duke of Cornwall. While the Duke was at battle Merlin the Magician made Uther look like the Duke so he could enter the Castle. On this night Arthur was conceived and the Duke died in battle. Igraine married Uther.

It is said that Elves were at Arthur's birth and gave him the gifts of courage, strength, intelligence, generosity and longevity. For Arthur's protection he was given to Merlin who then gave him to Sir Ector to raise.

After Uther's death the Kingdom was threatened by fighting over who would be King. A stone with a sword in it suddenly appeared in the churchyard. The words on it read "Whoever pulls out this sword is the lawfully born King of Britain.

Sir Kay, who Arthur served as squire, sent Arthur to camp to get him a new sword. Arthur could not find one so on the way back he saw the sword in the stone. He pulled the sword out and took it to Sir Kay. Sir Ector knew it was Excaliber and questioned his son about it. Sir Kay said he had removed the sword. His father then replaced the sword and asked Sir Kay to remove it. He could not but Arthur did. Merlin then revealed the details of his parents and birth. The rest of King Arthur's life is well known. He founded the Knights of the Round Table and together they fought many battles. King Arthur remains the most popular of heroes in the British Isles.

I chose King Arthur as my hero because of the qualities he possesses. He was honorable, honest, loyal chivalrous and valiant. All of these qualities I hope to have as I grow up.