Saint Maximilian Kolbe

by Brian from Virginia

<a href=http://www.scborromeo.org/images/saints/kolbe.jpg>Maximilian Kolbe</a>
Maximilian Kolbe

What a hero means to me is someone courageous. Someone who gave their life up for us just because they loved us; like someone who did something that no one has ever done before. It is someone who believes in something when everyone else thinks it's wrong. Someone you will remember forever about the things they did. Someone who you will adore just because he did something that changed the world. A hero is someone you will love.

The hero I chose is St. Maximilian Kolbe. The reason I chose him is because he inspires me to give up things when I need to but don't want to. He was a Polish priest. His Sainthood started at his First Communion. There he saw a vision of Mary. He asked the Virgin what was to become of him. She came to him holding two crowns. One was white and one was red. The white means he should persevere in purity. The red one means martyrdom. She asked him what he wanted to become, he said he would accept them both.

The way he became a martyr inspires me. He died to save another person's life. St. Maximilian Kolbe was caught by the Germans and brought to a concentration camp. Then they picked ten people randomly to be starved. One man that was picked was very sad. He said, "My family, my children, I will never see them again". St. Maximilian Kolbe asked if he could take his place. His wish was granted. He was a very bold man and a great Saint. That is why he is my hero.