Understanding Depression:
What We Know and
What You Can Do About It

By Raymond J. Raymond DePaulo, With Leslie Alan Horvitz, Foreword by Kay Redfield Jamison

Publisher: Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated, February 2002
ISBN: 0471395528
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.

From the Publisher
If you or someone you love suffers from depression, you know the truth: Amid competing claims and dangerous fallacies it has been virtually impossible to find and sort through reliable, authoritative information that tells you what you truly need to know-until now.

In Understanding Depression, one of the world's foremost authorities on depression presents a thorough, accessible guide to its nature, causes, effects, and treatments. Dr. Raymond DePaulo of the prestigious Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine shows you how to find out if what you're coping with is, in fact, depression. He then examines the full range of proven therapies, both mainstream and alternative, that are currently available.

Using insightful and dramatic case stories from his own patient files, Dr. DePaulo shows you how to recognize depression in all of its forms and guises. Clearly and concisely, he describes the causes of depression and the behaviors that are commonly associated with it. He also offers a detailed discussion of the symptoms and causes of bipolar disorder, something you won't find in most other books on depression.

You'll discover everything you need to know about every available treatment for depression and bipolar disorder, including:

Traditional and cutting-edge medications
Psychotherapy
Support groups
Exercise
Alternative therapies

Understanding Depression brings you comprehensive, compassionate coverage, grounded in the very latest research in brain chemistry, psychology, and pharmacology. This user-friendly handbook is a truly indispensable resource for anyone who must deal directly or indirectly with the devastating effects of this common, frightening, and ultimately controllable condition.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews