The MY HERO Project | Library

Fernando Botero: Paintings and Drawings

By Fernando Botero, Werner Spies

Publisher: Prestel-Verlag, May 1997
ISBN: 3791318101
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
From the Publisher
Fernando Botero, born in Colombia in 1932, belongs among the few major artists of the post-World War II era to have consistently worked in a figurative style. His distinctive figures - rotund and swollen to monumental proportions - articulate both his profound consciousness of artistic tradition and a gently satirical observation of his fellow human beings. Botero, who maintains studios in New York, Paris, and Tuscany, assimilates historical and contemporary influences with rare artistic skill to produce images that synthesize, in a deceptively simple manner, his experiences of Latin American and Western cultures.

Botero's subject matter, wide-ranging and deeply rooted in his South American heritage, includes portraits, bordello scenes, bullfights, landscapes, and still lifes. The artist's awareness of tradition is reflected in his consummate technical ability - he has revived the art of pastel, for example, to great effect - and in a number of adaptations of works by such earlier masters as Durer, Leonardo, and Velazquez.

The expertly reproduced paintings and drawings in this book have been selected with the artist's help to provide a comprehensive overview of his work in these media over the past three decades. The plates are complemented by an introduction that discusses Botero's place in contemporary art and elucidates his work processes, by a fascinating interview with the artist, by detailed biographical notes, and by an exhibition history and a bibliography. Six short stories by Botero reveal a less familiar facet of the artist's creative personality.

User Reviews:
jaia | 4/23/2009 3:34 AM
wow people should start making pics like that(love there body the way it is)
STEFAN | 1/20/2009 5:45 AM
UGLY PICTURE BUT IT IS DIFFERENT  WAY  TO  PAINT AND ALSO  BOTERO DID WHAT  HE WANTED .
Jaiashree Pouran | 12/1/2008 2:33 AM
His paintings shows how he can make a large
woman beautiful.
lesly | 11/18/2008 2:03 AM
pues botero es un buen pintor la verdad! sigue adelante y mucha pero mucha suerte....
shana | 5/12/2008 6:04 AM
i love the painting of Fernando Botero how he paint is beautiful
Jenny | 9/5/2007 5:48 AM
I'm currently researching this great artist. I'm intrigued and fascinated by the fact that he expresses his feelings for injustice thru art.
| 2/28/2007 10:25 PM
botero es un campeon en las pinturas el iolo de los artistas de colombia
!!!! viva colombia!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fernando Botero's Work Commentator | 11/13/2006 6:09 AM
His work is astonishing to the human eye in a classical way, but yet it makes us shed a tear because of its great characteristics that is shares in humor.
summer pinkston | 2/15/2005 3:02 AM
i love fernandos painting . i learned all about them and they are soo interesting! i think its awesome how he paints and his style. my house has a painting of his in every room!

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews