Riding for My Life, Vol. 1

By Julie Krone, Nancy Richardson

Publisher: Little, Brown & Company, April 1995
ISBN: 0316504777
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
From the Publisher
Julie Krone has become the most celebrated female jockey in the history of horse racing. Among her many record-breaking accomplishments are being the first woman to win the Belmont Stakes, to win five races in one day at a New York track, and to compete in a Breeders Cup race. The winner of over $56 million in purses, Julie Krone has made more than 2,800 trips to the winner's circle. Despite her natural talent, Julie's road to success was anything but smooth. In a sport hostile to women, she had to curse louder, fight harder, and, above all, race faster in order to stand her ground against the men of the trade. A high school dropout with divorced parents, Julie faced personal hardship as well. As she struggled to reach the top, her mother was suddenly diagnosed with cancer, and Julie fell victim to periods of loneliness and depression, overcame a drug problem, and suffered a broken back that would pull her out of racing for four months. Julie's most devastating setback, however, was a near-fatal accident in August 1993, when a 1,200-pound horse hit her directly above the heart. But the unstoppable Julie would not be beaten. With a driving will to win (and with the help of fourteen screws and two plates in her ankle) Julie Krone is back - and riding for her life.
User Reviews:
alex | 3/30/2009 10:28 AM
i really admire you julie, your an amazing inspiration to me and onmy life. im looking foreward to being a jockey my self. and i have met you personally your a great person to have as a role model.:]
Robbie | 3/16/2008 11:14 AM
I really want to be a jockey and this book inspired me soo much.Its amazing what a 4 ft 10 woman can change a sport so much.This was the best autobiography i ever read by far
Taylor | 3/12/2008 8:33 AM
does anyone know what her background is and her nationality and race please

Julie Krone was born in Benton Harbor, Michigan, USA.  We encourage you to read the story about her on MY HERO for more information

http://myhero.com/myhero/hero.asp?hero=j_krone_montvale

-- The MY HERO Library Staff

Paige | 1/14/2008 6:37 AM
I did her for my boigraphie and i read the same book as above its a great book but I want to know when she was born i know the year not day or month i ride so i know everything else about what she is talking about i Just need her birthday Please help if you know it!

Julie Krone was born on July 24, 1963.

-- The MY HERO Library Staff

stephanie | 1/7/2008 8:21 AM
i love horses and i admire julie krone she has inspired me to go ahead and ride horses and i own some  myself but they r paso finos
stephanie
amanda | 11/14/2007 6:37 AM
i read this book for a school project and i loved it. it gave detailed descriptions of her life up until 1993. she had a very interesting life and went down a difficult road to become a jockey. and i wish i had known who she was earlier on in my life she would be a great role  model

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews