Not on Our Watch: A Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond

By Don Cheadle, John Prendergast

Publisher: Hyperion, May 2007
ISBN: 9781401303358
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Synopsis
An Academy Award-nominated actor and a renowned human rights activist team up to change the tragic course of history in the Sudan—with readers' help

While Don Cheadle was filming Hotel Rwanda, a new crisis had already erupted in Darfur, in nearby Sudan. In September 2004, then-Secretary of State Colin Powell termed the atrocities being committed there "genocide"—and yet two years later things have only gotten worse. 3.5 million Sudanese are going hungry, 2.5 million have been displaced by violence, and 400,000 have died in Darfur to date.

Both shocked and energized by this ongoing tragedy, Cheadle teamed up with leading activist John Prendergast to focus the world's attention. Not on Our Watch, their empowering book, offers six strategies readers themselves can implement: Raise Awareness, Raise Funds, Write a Letter, Call for Divestment, Start an Organization, and Lobby the Government. Each of these small actions can make a huge difference in the fate of a nation, and a people—not only in Darfur, but in other crisis zones such as Somalia, Congo, and northern Uganda

User Reviews:
| 11/19/2008 7:20 AM
too sad for me
marchella | 3/13/2008 8:44 AM
this is great what he is doin keep up the work i don't care what you say he's the best!

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews