The MY HERO Project | Library

As Ding Saw Herbert Hoover

By Jay N. Darling, John M. Henry (Editor)

Publisher: University of Iowa Press, January 1996
ISBN: 9781587295379
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Synopsis
Ding Darling was a Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist whose work appeared daily on the front page of the Des Moines Register between 1906 and 1949 and also was syndicated in 135 newspapers across the country. A brief encounter with Herbert Hoover during World War I was the beginning of a friendship that lasted until Ding''s death in 1962. After Hoover''s election as president, Ding''s relationship changed somewhat from one of strictly a friend to one of an unofficial advisor. On at least three occasions, the Darlings were overnight guests at the White House. Although their friendship deepened after the years of the presidency, Ding did not agree with Hoover on everything. In As "Ding" Saw Herbert Hoover, Ding interprets the career of Hoover as food administrator, cabinet member, candidate, and president in 57 cartoons, personal recollections, and a running commentary of the times as told in the day by day headlines. This Iowa Heritage Collection edition includes four additional cartoons and a new introduction by Timothy Walch, acting director of the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library, in West Branch, Iowa.
Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews