One Peace: True Stories of Young Activists

By Janet Wilson

Publisher: Orca Book Publishers, October 2008
ISBN: 9781551438924
MY HERO recommends this book to children readers.
Synopsis
One Peace celebrates the “Power of One,” and specifically the accomplishments of children from around the globe who have worked to promote world peace. Janet Wilson challenges today’s children to strive to make a difference in this beautifully illustrated, fact-filled and fascinating volume of portraits of many “heroes for today.” Canadian Craig Kielburger, who started Free the Children to help victims of child labor at the age of twelve, has been nominated three times for the Nobel Peace Prize. Farlis Calle, forced to identify the body of a young friend—a victim of her country’s civil war—started the Columbia Children’s Movement for Peace. At age ten, Kimmie Weeks, a refugee from the Liberian civil war, came within a whisper of being buried in a mass grave. Almost miraculously he survived and vowed to make a difference in the lives of other children. At thirteen he established Voices of the Future, Liberia’s first child rights advocacy group. Other portraits feature the accomplishments of children from Sarajevo, Japan, the United Kingdom, Cambodia, Afghanistan and the United States. These moving testaments to the courage and initiative of youth will inspire readers young and old.
Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews