Abraham Lincoln

by Casey from Connecticut

I think a hero is someone who goes out of their way to help someone unselfishly. I also think that they had to make a positive impact on someone's life.
Abraham Lincoln (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_lincoln)

I think that a hero is someone who goes out of their way to help someone unselfishly. I also think that they had to make a positive impact on someone's life. According to my definition of a hero, Abraham Lincoln is a hero. He was the sixteenth president of the United States; he was the president during the Civil War, from 1861-1865. He led our country through one of its hardest times.

I find him to be a hero because he helped all of the slaves in the South. He was trying to stop slavery. He felt that it was not fair to have other people as slaves. I think that this is important because if Abe Lincoln had not been around then there is a good chance that slavery would still be around today. I say this because in January of 1837, the House of Representatives agreed that certain states have right to have slavery. The score was 77 to 6. Abraham Lincoln was one of only six people that voted against it.

Like I said before I think that a hero is someone who goes out of their way to help someone unselfishly. I also think that they had to make a positive impact on someone's life. Abraham Lincoln went out of his way to try and help all of the slaves become free. He was not just helping one person but a bunch of people and by doing this he made a positive impact on their lives.

When Abraham Lincoln decided to run president, he was deciding to make a difference. When he was making the choice to vote for no slavery in any states, going against all of the seventy seven other people that voted for slavery in some states. He was one of the six that decided that slavery was not right. He wanted to make a difference; he wanted everybody to be equal. He saw that there was no need to have people working for other people for nothing.

Another reason that Abraham Lincoln is a hero is because he signed the Homestead Act in 1862. This awarded one hundred sixty acres to settlers who agreed to farm the land for five years. By doing this, Abraham Lincoln showed that he was a kind and helpful person. While he was the president, he led the United States into the Civil War in order to prevent the Southern States from breaking away from the United States. This shows that he is brave, loyal, proud, and faithful.

President Lincoln left an amazing legacy behind. He left something that will never be forgotten. He is known for being the President that led our country through the Civil War. He is also remembered for abolishing slavery. He is going to be taught about forever. There is nothing that anybody can do to change that, he is a huge part of our country's history.

If Abraham Lincoln was to give advice for today's youth, he would definitely say that kids should not do what everybody else is doing. He would say that people need to do what they want. For example, when he was little he liked working in the fields and his father did not, they were the complete opposite. He had his own mind; he made his own decision. Abraham Lincoln did not let his father tell him that he needed to do everything the same way his father did.