Sister Mary Scullion

by John from Lafayette Hill

Bon Jovi, a supporter of Project H.O.M.E., described Sister Mary Scullion as “a sister who swears and spits” to which she replied, “I do not spit.” Sister Mary was a twenty-two year old Philadelphia nun when she began her work with the homeless in 1976. She is a tireless and courageous person who has dedicated her life to ending homelessness. Sister Mary is the executive director of Project H.O.M.E., which she co-founded in 1989.

Sister Mary has worked tirelessly to end homelessness in the city of Philadelphia. Under her leadership, Project HOME has grown from just an emergency winter shelter to 477 units of housing. Her work has reduced the number of homeless on the streets to less than 200 in the year 2000. Sister Mary has said that “potential is equally spread across our society, but opportunity is not.” She feels that all human beings have a right to a home. Time magazine has ranked her as one of the world’s most influential people. Even with all the work she does, she still finds time for a jog in Fairmount Park every morning.

Sister Mary has shown great courage in fighting to end homelessness. She first became public in 1980 when she was arrested for trespassing while feeding homeless people who were seeking shelter in the 30th Street train station. She was arrested again in 1988 for storming the basement of the city’s Municipal Services Building and setting up a shelter. “Her quiet dignity belies her willingness to speak up for the voiceless and fight for those who cannot fight for themselves,” said Mayor Michael Nutter.

Sister Mary has worked tirelessly and courageously for the past thirty-three years to end the plight of homeless people. She has worked against tremendous odds to get people off the streets. Sister Mary lives by her own words, that “none of us are home until we are all home.”