Library

Matt Walsh

by Morgan from Pickerington

A hero is someone who is a leader or does good things, someone who works hard and always tries/does their best.

It's important to have a hero, in my opinion, because then you could have someone that you look up to and someone that inspires or motivates you.

Matt has good characteristics of a hero for many reasons. First, he cares about his younger sisters more than anything and he is always looking out for them. I know this because he told Callie "I promise that if you really need me, I will come." Second, he tells his aunt, "I worry all the time," which means that he never stops thinking of his younger sisters and he wants to keep them safe and be a good older brother to them. Last, he has a rule that says "Protect the little ones." I think he wants everyone to watch out for their younger siblings no matter what.

Matt deserves the hall of fame, because all he did was watch out for his sisters. He had a hard life when he was younger but with help from his aunt, his father, and Murdoch they were free. His mother was out of control and her way of having fun was hurting others or scaring them. Sometimes she would leave one night and wouldn't come back for days maybe even weeks. Matt was finally tired of being mistreated and said something needs to be done. He changed the path of life that his sisters would be going down right now. If it wasn't for him they may not be happy fight now.

Q.Who is your personal hero? A.My hero is Murdoch McIlvane. Q.Why is Murdoch your hero? A.He's my hero because while we were having a hard time with my mom he was the one that came around and made us happy. Also I look up to him and I want to be like him. Q.How long has he been your hero? A.Since the time he stopped this father from almost hurting a child in the middle of a store. I was just mesmerized. Q. Did he help you get through hard times with your mother? A.Yes, sometimes he did. He was someone that I could talk to and he'd give me advice. Q.If he were here right now, what would you say? A.I would thank him for everything he has done and how he helped me and my sisters get away from our mother. Q.What kind of qualities makes a person a hero? A.When they watch out for other people or take care of them and inspires them. Things like that make people heroes. Q.How would you feel if you were someone's hero? A.I would be so grateful and maybe that person could make me a better person myself. Q.Do you think having a hero has helped you achieve your goals in life? A.Yes, because it has given me a mentor to keep me focused on achieving them. Q.What is something that you are proud of? A.Protecting my little sisters, because they mean so much to me. Q.How do you handle obstacles? A.I would approach it with a positive attitude. Q.What is the worst thing you ever thought? A.Well I thought that we would never get out of that horrible house and that we would end up like our mother, but as you can see I thought wrong.

"The Rules Of Survival" by Nancy Werlin.