Aids
Please consider donating today
If you share our goals of shining light on the heroes in our midst and empowering people around the world to create positive change, please consider donating today. The MY HERO Project is a haven of hope — a gathering of inspiration and a celebration of the best of our humanity. Our staff and millions of people around the world depend on the help of people like you so MY HERO can continue to thrive for years to come. Thank You for your donation.

Mandela's Final Journey Home

Candles illuminate a portrait of Nelson Mandela during the funeral service for former South African president Nelson Mandela in Qunu, South Africa, Sunday, December 15, 2013. (AP Photo/Odd Andersen)

People wave goodbye as the funeral procession carrying the remains of former South African President Nelson Mandela proceeds to Mandela's hometown and burial site in Qunu, South Africa, Saturday Dec. 14, 2013. The iconic leader will be buried on Sunday close to his house. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong)

People wave at an aircraft carrying the casket of former South African President Nelson Mandela as it takes off from Waterkloof Air Base on the outskirts of Pretoria, South Africa, Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013. On a final journey to his home village where he had wanted to spend his final days, the remains of Nelson Mandela were honored amid pomp and ceremony Saturday at an air base in South Africa's capital before being loaded onto a plane. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

People hold hands as the hearse carrying the remains of former South African President Nelson Mandela proceeds to Mandela's hometown and burial site in Qunu, South Africa, Saturday Dec. 14, 2013. The iconic leader will be buried on Sunday close to his house. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong)

A child draped in the South African national flag gestures while taking a photo of the procession as the body of former president, Nelson Mandela arrives at the Waterkloof Air force base in Pretoria Saturday Dec. 14, 2013 from where it will be transported to Qunu for a state funeral on Sunday. (AP Photo)

NelsonMandela.org - The Nelson Mandela Foundation
The MY HERO Project - FREEDOM HERO: NELSON MANDELA by Jeff Trussell
The MY HERO Art Gallery - Nelson Mandela by Elizabeth Laul Healey
The MY HERO Screening Room - Piper Dellums speaks at MY HERO Nelson Mandela Day event
MY HERO Organizer - A Celebration of Nelson Mandela

Gregory Katz in Johannesburg contributed to this report.

MORE RELATED IMAGES

CAPTION
Nelson Mandela's grandson Mandla Mandela, right, watches as local chiefs drape the casket of former South African President Nelson Mandela with a lion skin as it arrives at the Mandela residence in Qunu, South Africa, December 14, 2013. Mandela will be put to rest after funeral services on Sunday. (AP Photo/Elmond Jiyane, GCIS)

CAPTION
Nelson Mandela's grandson Mandla Mandela, center, leads local chiefs as they escort the lion skin draped casket of former South African President Nelson Mandela as it arrives at the Mandela residence in Qunu, South Africa, December 14, 2013. Mandela will be put to rest after funeral services on Sunday. (AP Photo/Elmond Jiyane, GCIS)

CAPTION
In this photo taken Friday, Dec. 13, 2013 Nelson Mandela's grandson, Mandla Mandela, top left, follows behind the national flag draped coffin of former South African President Nelson Mandela being carried down steps of the Union Buildings at the end of the third and final day of lying in state in Pretoria, South Africa. In sticking to tradition the body or the casket is usually wrapped in a leopard skin but because Mandela is also a former statesman there is also the South African flag. (AP Photo/Alexander Joe, Pool)

CAPTION
People wait on the roadside to see a hearse carrying the casket of former South African President Nelson Mandela arrive at Waterkloof Air Base on the outskirts of Pretoria, South Africa, Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013. The body of the iconic leader will be flown to Mthatha Saturday and buried in his hometown Qunu Sunday. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

December, 2013
Associated Press