Sir Nicholas Winton

by Samuel from Manhattan

Nicholas Winton is a hero to me, because he saved over 500 children from Hitler.
He was only 29 when he first went to Czechoslovakia.
www.bbc.com
www.bbc.com

Nicholas Winton once said, "Don't be content in your life just to do no wrong, be prepared every day to try and do some good." Nicholas Winton is a hero and it is no surprise because of his childhood. Winton, at, 29, became a hero to the Czech Families, because he did the impossible and saved 669 children. After Nicholas Winton saved the 669 children, he got many great awards. Nicholas Winton is a hero because he saved 669 children from Hitler.

Nicholas George Wertheim was born in London, England on May 19, 1909. He was the oldest of 3 children. That explains why he knew he had to help the Czechoslovakia children, because he was used to helping people. His parents, Rudolf and Barbara Wertheimer, were German Jews, and then later converted to Christianity and changed their last name to Winton. Nicholas Winton went to Stowe School in Buckingham, England and graduated. After graduating, Winton followed in his father's footsteps and started working in banks, and then he became a stockbroker (NWBiography). It is no doubt that his childhood helped him do the impossible.

Nicholas Winton said "Anything that is not actually impossible can be done, if one really sets one mind to do it and is determined that it shall be done" (Nicky's Family). Winton was about to leave for a ski trip, when he received a phone call from his friend Martin Blake: "Nicholas, I have a most interesting assignment and I need your help. Don't bother bringing your skis" (PowerOfGood). A Kindertransport was the informal name of a series of rescue efforts which brought thousands of refugee Jewish children to Great Britain from Nazi Germany between 1938 and 1940. Czechoslovakia did not have one of those. Nicholas Winton created a Czechoslovakian Kindertransport. It involved dangers, bribes, forgery, secret contacts with the Gestapo, eight railroad trains, an avalanche of paperwork and a lot of money. Nicholas Winton registered over 900 children, but he had names on 5, 000 children. Winton set up 8 trains to go to Britain. But only seven of the eight trains made it through, the last in early August, bringing the total rescued to 669. About 250 children, the largest group, were on board the last train out when Hitler invaded Poland; all are believed to have perished in concentration camps. He did the impossible and got many great rewards because of it.

Nicholas Winton had many achievements and he deserved them." I shook my head when compared to Oskar Schindler or Raoul Wallenberg" (NYTimes). Nicholas Winton was very incredulous at fame, meaning he did not think that he was worth anything. In 2003, he was knighted by the Queen Of England; He is now referred to as Sir Nicholas Winton. Sir Winton was nominated by the Czech Republic for the Nobel Peace Prize. Nicholas Winton is being honored with a Czech Postage Stamp, which is a very prestigious award.

www.jpupdates.com
www.jpupdates.com
Because of his childhood, Nicholas Winton went on to do many great things. Those things were stop his trip just to go help his friend help Czechoslovakian children. Because he helped saved 669 children, he deserved to have many great rewards. Once again, I will state that Sir Nicholas George Winton is a hero because he saved 669 children from the Nazis.
Rest In Peace, Sir Nicholas Winton (106 Years Old), you were a heroic person.

Nicholas Winton, Rescuer of 669 Children From Holocaust, Dies at 106 - Nicholas Winton dies at 106
The Story Of Nicholas Winton - Biography about Nicholas Winton
Youtube Video on Nicholas Winton - Short Video on Nicholas Winton