Poets

Phillis Wheatley

by Emmy from Arkansas

<a href=http://www.dartmouth.edu/~lhc/files/images/phillis-wheatley.jpg>Phillis Wheatley</a>
Phillis Wheatley

Phillis Wheatley was born around the years of 1753 - 1755. She was kidnapped from the Senegal Gambia region where she was purchased by John and Susanna Wheatley, in 1761. She was about 7 when this happened. It was then her owners realized her ability and want to learn. Her owners encouraged her to study and write.

She overcame being kidnapped and taken away from her home. Her solution to her problem was John and Susanna Wheatley purchasing her and giving her a good home. She also overcame most people not liking her. Her solution to this problem was publishing a book.

Phillis Wheatley accomplished being the first African American to publish a book. She was the first African American to earn a living from her writing. She was the first African American to be encouraged by a group of women.

I think Phillis' life can teach us never to give up on your dreams. I think this because she was encouraged to start writing and learning. Then she became a poet and a lot of people liked her.

I think she should have a place in history because she was the first African American to publish a book. I think this because most people probably wouldn't have.

Phillis Wheatley - Women in History
Phillis Wheatley - My Hero's story about Phillis Wheatley