Poets

Pauline Johnson

by Tanner from Innisfil

As a young child Emily Pauline Johnson was a great rhymer and also a very good writer and reader at the age of just five.

Pauline had two older brothers, Henry and Allen. Also one older sister Eva. Pauline's dad was George Henry Martin. He was Mohawk chief on the Grand River Reserve. Pauline was born on March 10, 1861. Pauline was raised at the Six Nations River Reserve Chiefswood by the main road leading to Brantford, Ontario. Pauline's mother, Emily Susanna Howells, married George Henry Martin. Although the couple was happy, both families were fighting and objecting to the marriage because Emily was not Indian, she was white.

Even though Chiefswood was nice, later when Pauline's dad died in war with the British, Pauline's mother did not have enough money to stay at Chiefswood so they moved to a small town in Brantford. Pauline always knew that she wanted to be poet. Next a problem was she had to work overtime to keep her family afloat. Being a poem writer seemed so far away. But she had got some leading parts in a lot of plays.

This person is my hero because she never gave up even when times were at their worst. She always followed her dreams. Just goes to show, if you set your mind on a goal you can do it. To me she displayed caring, courage, and responsibility as character traits.

In closing, people will not only remember Pauline for her great poems but for her love of her family and Pauline's determination and courage.

Pauline Johnson - Wikipedia