Robert H. Jackson

by Christian from Wyandanch

(gailjarrow.com)
(gailjarrow.com)

Robert H. Jackson was born on February 13, 1892 in Spring Creek, Pennsylvania. In 1897, his family moved to Frewsburg which was a town nearby Jamestown, New York. Robert graduated from Frewsburg high school in 1910. He spent one more, extra year in school at Jamestown high school. After that, he was an intern at a law office for one year. He went to Albany Law school for one year and then started practicing law. He went on to become a Supreme Court Justice of the United States.

He participated in the Brown vs. Board of Education case. This was when a little girl and her father lived closer to the white school that was in their town than the black school. The little girl's father didn't want her walking that far just to get to school, even though the law said she had to. This was because the white school wasn't really all that far and it didn't make sense.

Robert Jackson has a center named for him in Jamestown, New York. I went there on April 6th of 2011 because I entered an essay contest and I won first place. I went down there by plane and got a $500.00 savings bond and met author Jane Yolen. Anyway, the purpose of the Jackson Center is to promote Jackson's life and let the history of him live on. This includes the work he did and also the legacy he left behind that encourages other people to become involved in the law.

He is my hero because of the choices he made when he presided over the Nuremberg Trials. He put a lot of bad guys who were Nazis in prison for what they did to the Jews and the Catholics. The people tried were very bad people.

I like to collect comic books. I like to play video games. My favorite sport is baseball.