Rosa Louise McCauley Parks

by Pierre from Dax

"The bus was among the first ways I realized there was a black world and white world"
 (wikipedia.com)
(wikipedia.com)

I'm going to write about Rosa Parks who was an American Civil Rights activist woman. Rosa Parks' real name is Rosa Louise McCauley Parks who was a peacemaker and who fought for the equal Rights between white and black people (antisegregationist activist).

She was born on February 4th, 1913 in Tuskegee, Alabama. Her parents, James and Leona McCauley were a carpenter and a teacher, she chose a different way and became a seamstress. During secondary education, she had to abandon her studies because her grandmother fell sick and then her mother too. The Ku Klux Klan burnt the school where she studied and she had racism affronts during all of her childhood. Rosa got married to Raymond Parks, a barber, in 1932. He campaigned for the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People). In 1934, Rosa Parks appeared among the 7% of Black people with such a level of studies. Rosa then became a nurse's aid, then she got a job at the air base of Maxwell. She was also the cleaning lady of a couple, who were quite open-minded incited her to begin a training at the Highlander Folk School, Tennessee, in the sphere of workers' rights and racial equality. On December 1st, 1955, Rosa Parks refused the order of the bus driver, James Blake, who wanted to send her back of the bus. Rosa Parks was arrested, brought to justice and accused of breaking the laws. She died on October 24th , 2005 further to a declared dementia. President, George W. Bush paid a wonderful tribute to her and the American flag was put at half mast for the event.

Rosa Parks became a heroine in the history of the USA because she refused, in a bus, to leave her seat to a white person, whereas the rule was that a black person had to leave his or her seat to a white person in public transport.

I've chosen this person because she changed the way of thinking of people during the twentieth century. She was important for me because she is a symbol of the Civil Rights all around the world today and an example for all of the colored people in other countries.

Unknown. "toupie.org." [Online] Available http://www.toupie.org/Biographies/Parks.htm.