Rosa Parks

by Shelby from Corpus Christi

Rosa Parks was an extraordinary person because she stood up for what she believed in and was against racism. This is why Rosa Parks is my hero today. She experienced tough times during the civil rights movement in 1955. The one day that was an amazing accomplishment for Martin Luther King, Jo Ann Robinson, and Rosa Parks was the days after Rosa's arrest.

She did not agree with the treatment of minorities. As mentioned before, she stood up for what she believed in and worked hard for freedom, which was one of her dreams. During the civil rights movement things were difficult, especially for women and minorities. At that time segregation was present. Whites and minorities had separate water fountains, schools, and were separated when they rode the bus. Whites were allowed to sit in the front of the bus while colored people had to sit in the back.

The day Rosa stood up for what she believed in. (Google Images (wpclipart.com))

On December 1, 1955 Rosa decided to stand up for her rights. She refused to move to the back of the bus and stood up for what she had been dreaming of. Since she had refused to move she got arrested, but got bailed out a day later. The day she got home she talked to Raymond Parks, who had bailed her out. Even in jail the guards did not let the colored get water from the same fountain as Whites. This made her furious.

On December 5, 1955 about a couple days after Rosa got out of jail Martin Luther King, Jo Ann Robinson, and Rosa Parks decided not to ride the bus. Since her arrest not many colored people rode the bus. All of this goes back to the day that Rosa stood up for what she believed in. To this day I respect the things that Rosa stood up for, and accomplished during the civil rights movement.