Roy Plater

by Oscar from Hastings, New Zealand

A hero to me is someone who gives up their time and life for the citizens. I chose Roy Plater as my hero because of his radical thinking and bravery. He never went to college. You could say that the army was his college. He has different attributes than us.

Roy was a Royal engineer for the British army. His expertise was in making trenches and bridges.

Some of his achievements were electrical engineering, mine disposal and Bailey bidge deployment. You may be wondering what that is - it is when a tank with a bridge is put up over difficult terrain to help the troops get across ditches. It was named after Donald Bailey who was a Royal Engineer.

Men deploying Bailey bridge  (www.you tube.com (Do not know))
Men deploying Bailey bridge (www.you tube.com (Do not know))

Then Roy retired and went to work at a cement works and was an engineer there. Then he went to games workshop, that was when he began modelling.

(Dad ) (home)
(Dad ) (home)

Roy is still alive today. He is also my Grandad. Roy paints models and so do I. I started when I was 4.